03 June 2009

Seconds

Last week, we celebrated the second anniversary of the second time I became someone's Mother: The beginning of all our second Firsts.

You'd think the Firsts - first smile, first steps, first sentence - would lose some of their magic the second time around. But they don't. My two sons are so similar in some ways. But so very different in others. My second's Firsts have been all his own.

In fact, these second Firsts are almost more precious to me, because they are also my last Firsts.

So, Happy Birthday, Baby Boy. I look forward to celebrating so many more second Firsts with you. But, no rush, okay?

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday little minion! Enjoy your Optimus Prime (that was you, wasn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Yeah. Now he has Prime AND Bumble Bee. And Minion the Elder has Obi Wan Kenobi (a la Phantom Menace). Mommy is holding out for a Han Solo of her very own. :)

    But I thought of you the other day when the 4-year-old insisted that we really should by the 2-year-old a bobble head Boba Fett. I had to veto. A stuffed one, though, might work. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first one I missed a lot because it was such an enormous learning curve, the second one I relaxed a lot more, with experience came some confidence. Now with the third and final, I put my Buddhism into practice as I really strive to just be in the moment knowing this is the last of the firsts.

    And you are right, none of it loses it's magic, it's a completely unique thing every time. Happy birthday to your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, baby baby baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm contemplating having my own "second firsts". I think I want another baby. I don't want my first firsts to also be my last firsts, you know?

    ReplyDelete