11 June 2009

But if life were made of moments, then you'd never know you had one

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to run into him somewhere.
A chance encounter at the store, on the street, in a coffee shop.

Would we greet each other warmly, sitting down to chat like old friends about our new lives? Or would we offer smiles that don't reach our eyes and exchange uncomfortable small talk before going our separate ways?

Would we share pictures of our spouses and kids? Or would we just share a private, nostalgic look as we pass?

Would I see the passionate young man, in the middle-aged stranger in front of me? Would he see the care-free girl in the mother of two?

Would his smile still make my stomach do flips? Would he flirt and bring up old times?

Would my cheeks burn at the flood of memories? Would his eyes sparkle at my blush? Would mine brim with tears when the moment was past?

I love my husband, my children, my life.
I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

But, sometimes, I wonder.

###

That's what woods are for:
For those moments in the woods...

Oh, if life were made of moments,

Even now and then a bad one--!

But if life were only moments,

Then you'd never know you had one.

...

Let the moment go..

Don't forget it for a moment, though.
Just remembering you had an 'and,' when you're back to 'or,'
Makes the 'or' mean more than it did before.

Now I understand--

And it's time to leave the woods.


~ Stephen Sondheim
Into the Woods

13 comments:

  1. Ah! You are good. What a profound post. The title says it all. I have often thought of all the steps...mistakes and concrete decisions...I have taken that have led me to this point in my life. There is no way I could have planned this, but I am sure happy to be where I am. I have thought too about someone from my past but it wasn't as poetic as your thoughts. I always thought, "Would I kick him in the crotch or go straight for the windpipe?" ;-)

    Keep posting Zen! I love that you verbalize thoughts that I share that I have difficulty attaching to words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Would I kick him in the crotch or go straight for the windpipe?"

    And THAT is why I love you so much!!! You always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have stories about the one that got away. Some of us write about them in a few lines. Others? Take multiple posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh the what if moments. We all have them, but in this moment if I saw my what ifs I wouldn't change things for all the tea in china!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For better or worse, I don't have a one that got away. I almost married somebody else, but I'm glad she got away. I'm sure she feels the same about me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a fantastic writer - really enjoyed this one, and I think everyone with enough years under their belts can relate. And simplyme, I'm still laughing about the crotch/windpipe thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a really good.

    There is a boy or two I wonder about in my past too. Although, I think my husband is a lot better for me then they ever could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the crotch/windpipe line! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all wonder sometimes, but if I had to do it all over again I would do it just the same as I did then. I'm so much more happy with what I have now!
    Great post - beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So weird. I just wrote a blog about an encounter with an old lover. We are totally on the same wavelength, you and I. It's freaking me out.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. as soon as i saw he title of the post i started singing the song but i couldn't remember immediately where it was from. then i saw little red in my head. i love it.

    i often think about past moments which have ended up being life shattering, course altering moments. namely, one night spent with a new boyfriend which resulted in a family. we're expecting our second boy, so it couldn't have been all bad. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I was looking for the lyrics and came across your blog. I was writing about a different experience related to those Sondheim thoughts, but how cool to see your own application. Lucky to find your writing, will keep tuning in! xx

    ReplyDelete