Our long-time canine companion (the ZenHusband actually adopted him just before we started dating in 1998), died almost 3 years ago. Patch, a Dalmatian, was the Best. Dog. Ever. He was well-mannered, loving, energetic and fun - our 60-pound lapdog. When he died, it was hard to even think of "replacing" him. Especially as we had a toddler and a new baby taking up all of our time and attention and then some.
But, as time passed, I found myself really missing the presence of a dog in our lives. We still have two cats - Mojo and Mocha (though they are getting on in years as well). They're nice, but, well, cats are not dogs.
I've been periodically
For a while.
And then I would bring it up again a few weeks later.
The final straw for me was last weekend.
I took the boys to visit my parents and grandparents and an aunt and uncle. (They all live on the same street.) And I almost died of OMG-I-WANT-A NEW-DOG-SO-BAD overload - they have TWO new sweet-and-adorable puppies: My dad has a 3-month old Lab-Chow mix and my aunt just adopted a 2-month old Blue Heeler.
My text messages to my husband that weekend included:
- Reason #10 we need a dog: It would eat the crumbs the kids drop around the table! Less vaccuuming!
- Reason #9: Home protection! You DO want the kids and I to be safe when you're not home, right?
- Reason #8: The need to walk the dog will inspire us to take more walks as a family = Family bonding! Healthier Family!
- Reason #7: Scooping poop builds character! The Professor is old enough to handle a shovel, now!
- Reason #6: Dittto on feeding, watering, taking care of a dog = More Character!
- Reason #5: The cats are getting fat and complacent. They need someone to keep them on their toes!
- Reason #4: Every kid should have a dog growing up! It's the American way!
- Reason #3: I promise to help scoop aforementioned poop.
- Reason #2:There is scientific evidence that dog owners live longer than non-dog owners.
- And the #1 Reason why we should get a new dog: Dog = Happy Wife. Happy Wife = Thankful Wife. Thankful Wife = Happy Husband. (Yes, I totally did just promise sexual favors in return for a puppy. See how desperate I have become?!)
Can you believe he puts up with me?
I also emailed him photos and info from the awesome PetFinder App on my iphone of several cute puppies and young dogs who needed to be rescued from the local Animal Control kennel.
I'm not sure what it was that finally
I know, right?! How can anyone possibly resist that?!
Turns out, he's just as sweet and adorable as he looks.
So we adopted him!
He's at the vet's today getting neutered and microchip'd and all checked out and he will be coming home to us on Thursday!
But - and here's where you guys come in - he needs a NAME!
The boys have been brainstorming - and we've gotten a few great suggestions from friends on Facebook and Twitter - but we haven't settled on a name for this little guy, yet.
Wanna help? Here's his CV:
- He's 4 months old. He was found as a stray with another dog about a month ago.
- The Pound listed him as a "Beagle"and he looks like that might indeed be a dominant breed in his mix, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had some smaller dog DNA in his cocktail as well - like some Dachshund or maybe even Chihuahua. He's smallish and his head and nose are just a little on the narrow side for a Beagle, I think. And I doubt that he will get very big. Small-to-medium is my guess.
- He's very happy and friendly: He got along with the kids right away and his tail wags like crazy when he sees new people.
- He seems energetic, but not hyper: He likes to run and play, but he was also very happy to cuddle up in my lap and get petted and scratched and otherwise loved on.
- He's afraid of cats - he runs the other way when he sees one. (Considering one of my cats is somewhat eeeevil, that's probably for the best.)
- He seems to be a bit on the quiet side for a Beagle(ish), but time will tell on that one.
I also suggested "Eddie", because the Pup's adoption day - October 25 - is coincidentally, the birthday of BNL Lead Singer Ed Robertson. But the ZenHusband used his veto to shoot that one down. Spoilsport.
The boys have also already vetoed "Tank", "Bruiser" and "Goliath". These kids have no sense of irony, I tell ya.
So, People of the Great and Powerful Interwebs: It's your turn.
What name do you think fits our new dog? Or do you have a suggestion to add the list?
I'll be sure to let you know what we decide. And to
If I had a tail, it would be wagging,
"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven not man's." ~ Mark Twain