18 June 2009

Kick-Ass Chicks 2: Moving Pictures

Every girl needs strong female role models. Not just in her personal life, but in pop culture.

When I was growing up, there wasn't exactly a surplus of female "heroes" on TV or in the movies. While my brother and his friends had a plethora of heroic characters to choose from at "pretend time", I was pretty much stuck with Wonder Woman or Princess Leia.

Not that they aren't awesome. But, it's nice to have some variety, eh?

I still think young girls get the short end of the stick when it comes to pop-culture heroes. But, fortunately, we older would-be heroines have a few more strong women characters to choose from than when we were young.

I've already shared some of my favorite books about ass-kickin' chicks. So, I guess it's time to give moving pictures their due, too.

ZEN'S TOP 10: SCIFI HEROINES

10. Elizabeth Swan, Pirates of the Caribbean
The girl who went a-pirating. This character speaks to the little girl I was - the one who wanted to climb in Max's boat and go adventuring with the Wild Things.

9. Lara Croft, Tomb Raider
I've loved this character since I played the first game. She was like a female Indiana Jones - finally! And - as cheesy as they are - I like the movies, too. Mostly because Jolie plays her as an awesome balance of hot-hot-hot and so cool ice doesn't melt in her mouth.

8. Zoe Washburn, Firefly/Serenity
Speaking of cool: Zoe is the epitome of "cool under pressure". She's tough as leather and loyal to a fault. She just edged out her ship-mate, River Tam, for this slot because, while River is the picture of deadly grace, Zoe is who I would want by my side in a tough spot.

7. Katherine Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager
A smart, rational leader who thinks things through and always tries for the peaceful solution, (She's like the anti-Kirk. But, in a good way.) but who isn't afraid to give 'em both barrels if the situation calls for it.

6. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, Battlestar Galactica
She's a hard-drinkin', fast-flyin', bad-mouthin' SOB. And proud of it. Brave, brash, and just a little bit damaged. You gotta love her.

5. Sarah Connor, Terminator
Some moms say they'd take on the world for their kid. She actually does it. Yeah, she's kinda soft and fluffy in the first movie. But you get glimpses of the tough core underneath. The one that lets her become the hard-as-nails mercenary who fights the future and her own darkness in T2. And - damn- is she scary, then, or what?!

4. Leia Organa, Star Wars
"Somebody has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, flyboy!" Tough, determined, and just a tad snarky - exactly how I like my princesses. She's iconic - one of the first.

3. Trinity, The Matrix
Sure, you could argue that almost anybody could be kick ass in Bullet Time and a leather body suit. But, her toughness is tempered with a vulnerability that makes her so much more appealing. Oh, and did I mention the body suit? Day-amn.

2. Ellen Ripley, Aliens
She was one of the first of her kind - a tough, smart, brave, self-reliant woman who doesn't need a man to rescue her - she can handle it, thank-you-very-much. She was one of the characters that changed the way we saw women in SF action movies. For that alone, she would have earned a top spot on this list.

1. Buffy Summers, Vampire Slayer
"She Saved the World. A Lot." I could write a book on the subject of why this was such a smart, fun show and why Buffy was such a beloved character. In fact, people have. Written books on the subject, that is. But, the truth is, if you are a fan: You already get it. If you're not, well then, you don't. Bottom line: Buffy was an interesting, original and totally kick-ass character in a show filled with outstanding plots, characters and writing. It was fun and fantastic. And I miss it.

Well, there's my list. What do you think? Did I miss anybody?
Who are
your favorite SciFi heroines?

9 comments:

  1. It can be hard to find "tough" chicks who also are not bitchy in media -- movies and literature -- and it's quite frustrating. Arrgghhh...

    But this list is quite good!

    I would add XENA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Christine nomination of

    XENA!!

    And don't forget Gabrielle, she was pretty kick ass too!

    I mean, they for a short time, had planetoids named after them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Laura Roslyn from BSG? She was quiet but intelligent, and strong. I loved her (literally) to death.

    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always really like Sara Conner.

    She was one bad ass mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list.

    I'll second Jean Grey!!

    I have something for you over at my blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it is my age, but Leia will always make the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ripley, Buffy, Starbuck, Sydney Bristow, Leia, Sarah Connor, Zoe, Cherry (hello, Planet Terror), Kate Austen on Lost, and Leeloo from Fifth Element.

    NICE list.

    ReplyDelete