25 June 2009

On Anonymity

This is one of those oddly masturbatory blogs-about-blogging. Feel free to skip it if you find such things annoying. :)

My blog is semi-anonymous.

I don't use my real name - or the names of my husband or children. In fact, the only real names I use are those of other online people who are already "out" about their offline identities.

I don't usually post identifying photos. (I do occasionally post pictures of my kids, but I will likely do that less as they get older and start school.)

I never mention my workplace, specifically, or even my hometown. And I try not to give away too many identifying tidbits.

But ... my blog is also non-anonymous in that it is read by several people who already know me "in real life" - including several good friends and even my parents! (My husband has the address, too, but he doesn't usually read it.)

But there are other people in my offline life I'd prefer never find my blog. Or at least never find out my blog is ME.

So, I try to ensure that if someone were to go a-Googling for "My Real Name" or other personally identifying details - this blog would NOT show up in those searches.

It's not that I have anything to hide, really. I'm comfortable "owning" everything I write. It's more a matter of desiring a bit of control over my privacy. And, of course, there are the normal concerns about the random freaks and weirdos out there.

But, the main reason for my semi-anonymity - or maybe it's pseudonymity - is professional.

Everyone's heard stories of people who've lost their jobs - or job opportunities - because of something they posted on their blog or Facebook or MySpace.

For me, those concerns are amplified.

I work in public relations. I am the public spokesperson for my workplace. Like it or not, I am always "on duty" in public - always representing more than just myself. In this small community, that means everywhere: At the park, in the grocery store, at preschool, at restaurants - even just driving down the road.

It's not entirely fair. But it is what it is.

In a way, this blog is one of the few places I can relax.

Even though most of what I post here is pretty innocuous in terms of my professional life, my semi-anonymity gives me the freedom to let my hair down a bit and not worry too much about who might be judging what and how it could reflect on my work.

So, while I'm comfortable having some friends and family read my blog, if I had to put my name on it for just anyone to see ... well, I probably wouldn't blog at all.

As it is, I probably still self-censor just a bit. But, that's just me - I'm a private sort of person in some ways.

I'd like to think I'm basically the same person online that I am offline. Though - if we're honest with ourselves - I think we'd all have to admit that we share different parts of our personalities in different situations. Are you the same person at home with your kids as you are at work? Or at dinner with the in-laws? On a first date? Out for a drink with your pals? At your class reunion?

Even if it was possible to ensure complete and total anonymity (and don't kid yourselves, dahlinks, such things are not possible in this day and age), I'd like to think my blog would not be all that different from what it is right now in it's semi-anonymous state.

I do sometimes ask myself: If I had complete anonymity ... would I write about things I have not? Would I say some things differently? Would I feel more "free" to share different sides of myself? To be honest: At least once, the answer has been yes.

But, for the most part, I think I am still "putting out there" an honest representation of who I am and what I think.

What about you?

Is your blog anonymous? Do people who read it know you IRL? Why or why not? What do you think are the pros and cons of each? Do you have concerns about personal or professional repercussions? Are you concerned about what and how much you share?

I'd really like to know. :)

13 comments:

  1. when i started blogging, i blogged under my name BIG MISTAKE~~when my dad died, my younger brother read every single word to my mom

    not much she didn't know, but it caused lots of problems for a long time

    i stopped blogging for 6 months and i am trying to remember to not say anything to be busted out again
    and i am 5 freaking 1 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I feel semi-anonymous. I don't mention names or post identifying pics on my blog. However, there are a number of people who read mine and know who I am. I am anonymous on Twitter, but transparent on Facebook. If you wanted to find me, you could. But you'd have to work at it a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Facebook account under my super secret real identity, too, DGB. I think that if someone really wanted to, they could make a connection from there to here. But they'd have to work pretty hard for it. I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am more or less anonymous. The only RL people who read my blog are my sister (a mistake I'd undo if I could manipulate time) and a few friends of my wife who have clicked through. If I blogged under my real name (like I did originally), my SIL would have found me by now, and, well, I don't want to think about the results of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty much the same as you. I don't use real names, but have some real life friends and family that read. I wish they didn't sometimes because I'd like to get more 'honest' without worrying about offending anyone. I've thought of starting a truly anonymous blog for that reason, but then I realized that I would be spending twice as much time on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only real person in my life that knows about my blog is my husband TWN. That's it. Otherwise I'd never be able to write anything without overanalyzing it to death.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question. I'm trying to go more anonymous after being semi out in the open. I'm always worried about my job (and maybe any future employers) finding out about the blog. Also, I find that I cannot write about certain things for fear of offending/alienating certain people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once got in trouble on the job front, so I will never write about anything work related again. Period.
    But while I don't use my real name etc, I do let people I know read mine. I think it forces me to take responsibility for what I write. I don't think I should be writing unkind things about others for the whole world to see. If I have to, I can write in a diary for that.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally enjoy reading blogs about blogging. Blogging is a big part of me, or at least the writing and self-expressive aspect. I am not anonymous on my blog, but there are certainly people I do not wish to read it. I used to "advertise" my blog to friends and family. Not anymore. I only have a handful of people who know me in IRL that read it. I do hold back on posting many things, even though people often comment about my honesty or "openness" on my blog. There are so many things that I just can't or won't talk about because of the personal risk. It's not about professional risk. It's just that having certain thoughts in my head or things I have done or things I want to do laid bare to others would be uncomfortable to me. Sometimes I write and publish a post and regret doing so. This is especially true when I post something particularly painful and get very little responses. I know that sounds silly but I always think, "well now I've gone and done it. I've alienated everyone". Blogging has become a somewhat scary enterprise, not just because it's personal but because it means too much to me. I'm asserting myself on my blog in ways I never could in real life and if I perceive that a particular piece of writing has failed, well it's hard to bear. I've been considering stopping blogging for a while for just that reason. I think I need to reset my priorities and remember why I started writing in the first place, which wasn't to get a response or praise. I don't know if that makes sense to you or not.

    I think your blog is wonderful. I don't think a blog has to make it's author vulnerable to be interesting and important. You definitely allow for moments of vulnerability on your part, which I always appreciate because it makes me feel less alone in a lot of ways. But you have a beautiful, solid essence that comes through in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually have a similar approach to yours.

    I post a link to my blog from my facebook page and my "real" friends can read it if they want. But I don't use my name or post pictures. I don't like the idea of strangers knowing too much about my family, but I don't mind if my friends know about my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I started blogging it was to keep my family updated on my little guy, so there wasn't much anonymity there. I did refrain from using my sons and husbands names on my other blog for a while, but gave up on that because both blogs were linked. So now anyone and everyone can find me and I have to be very selective about what I write... it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thankful for this post. I have my personal 'life' blog. Several people know it, and it is linked from my Twitter account. But I never use full names, or towns. I try to be as general as possible about the area I live in. On this blog it is mostly a safety thing because I do share pics of my kids. And they are quite cute, and I just don't need any stalkers for myself or for them. It happens.

    Most people I know don't know about it and I don't link it from FaceBook, but I think about it at times and several people do know about it. As Princess of the Universe mentioned, though, I have learned to take this non-anonymity as the chance to take responsibility for what I write. If it's awful, should I really be writing about it at all? Could it be phrased any better? Should I be putting that focus and energy into something so vile, or finding a better way to process it? Mostly I've shut up about it, but this year I've started learning how to process those things better.

    And with that said, I do have a pseudonymous blog as well. I use a pen name and don't discuss children's names. I would probably be better to just make some names up for them, too. I can, because the blog gets a lot of traffic because it's a prime niche, but not a lot of repeat traffic because I haven't built it up. Partly because I have never been settled on the anonymity thing. I partly felt like a fraud, like "what, you've got something to hide? if you believe in it, why not just be completely honest?". So I've had that struggle: I can be honest without sharing everything, but when I start making up stuff... is that still honest? I feared being accused of being a fraud if people figure it out (and some people WILL, if they haven't already).

    I'm going to finally settle on it and choose "yes". There was a situation I had with another one of my websites that has a community on it, and there was a falling out. I wished after that, that I had made that one pseudonymous. But I didn't, and I guess I should take that lesson. Moreover, the blog I've been perplexed about is a religious one, and even my congregation's leader has told me "The better part of valor is discretion".

    So I guess that's that. Guilt-free pseudonymity it is!

    Thanks for helping me work this out. I'm no longer afraid to grow that site.

    ReplyDelete