14 August 2009

I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)

Consider this a warning for would-be creative writers everywhere: Liquid Story Binder is CRACK.

Especially if you happen to be a slightly OCD creative writer who likes to have every element of your writing organized and alphabetized and cross-referenced and annotated and measured and tracked and ...

*ahem*

Sorry, got a little excited there.

So, Liquid Story Binder-XE is basically a portable word processing program specifically designed for writing novels and similar fiction projects.

I downloaded it last month on a whim after the awesomely talented Ilona Andrews mentioned it on her blog. The organizational features looked really appealing and the interface didn't seem too daunting, so I clicked over just to check it out.

And that's when they get you hooked.

Because, just like the schoolyard pusher, LSB lets you have the first taste for FREE.

So, you think: Free Trial! WooHoo! No pressure. I can just check it out, see if I like. Just this once. I'll be able to quit anytime I want to!

And then, 30 (non-consecutive) days later, you're jonesin' for a fix so bad you're pawning your kid's Big Wheel to shell out the $46 to get keep that high goin', baby.

No, seriously, this thing is awesome. And, in my opinion, completely worth the $46. The kids might not agree. But, hey, walking builds character, right?

Honestly, for the first week or so, LSB was more of a distraction to my writing than anything else. But, once I finished playing with all the bells and whistles like the big ol' geek kid I am, it really did turn out to be very useful!

I haven't even come close to using all of the functions and features, yet. And, frankly, there are features I will probably never use. But that's okay. Because they don't get in the way. And everything I have tried, has made me squeal like a fangirl.

With LSB, every project is a "book" and each book is made up of individual, but connected, "chapters" saved in simple text format. (You can also export them into MS Word or other word processing software, were you so inclined.)

LSB tracks stats like session time and word count on each chapter and even lets you set goals for chapters and sessions. Your chapters are backed-up automatically, but you can also create redundant back-ups. If, you know, you happen to be all OCD like that. (Shut up.)

Other features I like:
  • Workspace: You can customize and personalize your workspace in whatever configuration works for you and LSB will remember your setting for each book.
  • Portability: The whole program - including all of the files that make up your "book" can be saved onto a flash drive so that you can take your work with you anywhere.
  • Images: You can save images of people or locations or whatever else you want into LSB and associate them with other files, like Character Dossiers, timelines, outlines, etc.
  • Dossiers: You can create informational dossiers for every character (or for organizations or locations or whatever). You can use LSB's standard categories and just fill in the blanks or customize it to your heart's content.
  • Outlines / Mindmaps / Timelines / Storyboards / Notes: Just like they sound. All the creative and planning and organizational tools a writer could need right there in your "book" file and waiting for you at a single click of a mouse.
  • Uber-Search: You can search every kind of file in your book for any word or phrase. I think you can even do a universal "replace".
  • File List: All of the files in your Book are easily accessible through a simple File List that I, personally, like to keep maximized on the right-hand side of my workspace as a quick menu. With one click, you can organize your files by type or by name to find and open them easily. You can also "associate" files with chapters to make it easier to cross-reference.
  • Audio files: You can add mp3 files and create playlists to match your writing mood. I haven't tried that yet because I'm afraid my head would explode at the sheer coolness of it.
My free 30-day trial is almost up and I've been eyeing the kids' Piggy Bank with a predatory gleam for a few days now. Because I really, really love this thing.

And I shall hug it and pet it and squeeze it and call it George.

###

Do you have a geeky gadget obsession?

4 comments:

  1. I will go and check it out. I need an excuse to not write my novel for another night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does my iPhone count? I am so obsessed with it, LOL!! I left it in my van for 3 hours and felt phantom limb pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trooper Thorn: Hope you'll let me know what you think of it. :)

    Spooky: iphone = crack. Totally. My boss gets those same phantom pains if he's away from his blackberry for more than an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be really into my PSP and getting emulators running on it (like Smurfs for Colecovision or Moon Patrol for the 2600... because there's no better use for portable gaming hardware than 25 year old ROMs) but I just found keeping up with it to be a bit much.

    That application sounds useful, if you're writing a book. Are you writing a book?

    ReplyDelete