21 July 2009

Felix and Oscar in Love

Inspired by Daddy Geek Boy , who wrote a great post about Compatibility over at Venus vs Mars and then poked a bit of fun at himself over a rare bout of absentmindedness over at his place, unintentionally setting my mind to pondering the two things together ... thanks. :)


I'm a planner, an organizer, a worrier.

My Husband is spontaneous, chilled out, laid back.

Casual acquaintances sometimes wonder aloud why we haven't killed each other. I usually tell them that we only put up with each other for the great sex. ;)

But the people who really know us can easily see that the truth is actually much simpler.

###

When I was pregnant and just after my kids were born, I lost or forgot things so often that I joked that the baby must have been sucking my brains out with his breakfast.

I left my keys in the front door, locked them in my car, even locked them inside the house - with me on the outside. I lost count of how many times I lost my sunglasses and other accessories. Or forgot to put gas in the car. Or remembered to go to the bank but forgot the checks to deposit. Or put the milk in the pantry. I even forgot some appointments - which I never do.

I used to be able to recall exact quotes and complex figures from memory when I was a reporter. Now I can't remember that I need to buy toilet paper unless I've got a shopping list stuck to my purse.

Some days, just after Minion #2 was born, I swear it was a miracle if I remembered to put all my clothes on before I left the house.

This is what you have reduced me to, my darling children.

The result? All those Mommy-Brain symptoms triggered a defense mechanism: I am totally OCD about some things.

Actually, I can't blame the pregnancies/babies for all of it. I've always had a tendency toward obsessive-compulsive organization. It's one of the things that makes me very good at my job ... and, I suspect, somewhat difficult to live with at times.

But after the kids came along, I got better and worse.

I've learned a great deal of patience from my children. I've learned to let go of a lot of control issues. And I've learned a lot about how to not sweat the petty things. (And to not pet the sweaty things, but that's a whole different kind of lesson.)

But I've also learned that when you have two kids under 5 - organization can not only make your life easier, it can save your sanity.

My husband, on the other hand ... well, if I'm: "A place for everything and everything in it's place", then he's: "Oh, I think I set it down around here somewhere."

I regularly come home to find power tools on the dining table, his shoes in the doorway, his lunch ice chest in the middle of the kitchen floor. And you don't even want to get me started on the piling system on his desk.

In his defense, it's not that he's a slob - he does laundry and dishes and vacuums and is actually pretty darn good at helping to keep things clean around here.

It's just that he doesn't at all mind the presence of my arch-enemy: Clutter. (Dun-dun-dun!)

He can walk right by some random item in the middle of the hallway floor for weeks and never even think about picking it up - unless it happens to be something he needs at that moment. Because it just doesn't bother him.

Meanwhile, I'm developing a nervous tic waiting to see how long he ignores it. (Because, apparently, I'm a masochist like that.)

Of course, when I do "commit a cleaning" as he calls it, then he notices. Because he can't find the cordless drill battery he knows he left sitting on the microwave a couple weeks ago.

o_O

And yet, somehow, we've haven't killed each other.

It probably helps that we each knew what we were getting into before we shacked up. In fact, I had one "condition" for agreeing to marry him: I had to be in charge of the "the books". I don't mean in charge of spending decisions; we make those together - I mean in charge of the actual bookkeeping: Paying the bills, balancing the accounts, etc. Because, pre-marriage, my husband's idea of balancing his checkbook was keeping it all "in his head" with an occasional call to the phone-teller to check his balance.

I know. I was horrified, too.

But, the thing is: He was perfectly happy with his "system" before I came along. But - and this is the real key to our "success" in this area, I think - he's also perfectly happy with "my" way.

Because that "it's-all-good" personality that gives the ZenHusband his chill attitude about clutter is the same trait that lets him put up with my obsessive-compulsive control-freakiness.

On the other hand, it's my uber-organized control-freakiness that keeps the lights on around here. ;)

###

So, yeah:

I'm a planner, an organizer, a worrier.

My husband is spontaneous, chilled out, laid back.

He's the Oscar to my Felix, the Ernie to my Bert, the Yin to my Yang.

But, while we might look like incompatible opposites from a distance, the truth is that we're actually complementary - each supplying something the other would otherwise lack.

Yes, we sometimes clash. But, overall, I think we balance each other pretty well. Maybe even make each other better. :)


What about you and your significant other? Do you have "issues" like these?

13 comments:

  1. My wife and I have a similar dynamic, except I refer to her "tidying" as "MTM just happened to me" or "I just got MTM-ed". In fact, I wrote a post about this:

    gspot.com/2007/04/tws-being-mtm-ed.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you meet? What about him made you love him? Was it because he touched your arm at just the genuine and natural point in a conversation, rather than reinforcing your attention? Was it because you were able to talk with him, not at him, and vice versa?

    I want to know. These things fascinate me. All of these people are married and in families, and I just can't comprehend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Rassles, I wrote a post about how we met:

    http://onezenmom.blogspot.com/2009/03/of-shamrocks-and-lumberjacks.html

    I wish I could tell you what it was about him - and about me - that made us click. And made us work.

    I can tell you that it wasn't like: "Pow! Wow, I'm going to spend my life with this guy." It was more gradual that that.

    People really do make comments all the time about how we "shouldn't" work - but after they get to know us better, they start to say things like we are made for each other. It's weird.

    If you were to start describing us on paper, we would sound totally incompatible.

    But, here we are, 12 years and 2 kids after he picked me up in a bar. Still happy and in love. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I think a lot of people could save a lot of money in couples' therapy if they worked with their differences instead of fighting about them or trying to change the other person. You and the lumberjack seem to have it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, thanks for the shout out.

    My mom one time said to me, "You've become a lot messier since you got married." No mom, I haven't. I've just given up.

    Do you ever wonder if, by some cruel twist of fate, that we are attracted to people who are polar opposites of us because secretly we wish we could be messy and unorganized?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dunno, DGB. The idea of being messy and unorganized kinda makes me queasy and little lightheaded.

    Then again, the idea does have a bit of a forbidden fruit feel to it.

    Hmmm. *strokes imaginary beard* I must ponder this bit of psychoanalysis further. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you just described me. Like you I am tidy, organised and understand the need for everything to be in alphabetical order. My partner on the other hand believes that being tidy is noticing untidyness ... apparently that is enough! Stop by and read my posts on my OCD when you get a min

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see a bit of myself in you. (And a bit of my fiancé Joe in your husband.) I couldn't be with anyone other than my yin. I'm a firm believer that two yangs don't make a right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On second thought. I rephrase. Joe is the worrier and organizer and I'm the free spirit. HOWEVER, my flightiness is curbed by intense bouts of OCD.

    I quite enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I met on eHarmony, so we were matched up by similarities, and I have to agree, we are very similar. Except in some ways, we are opposites. He likes everything clean and tidy. I'm not messy, but not really organized. He is great at remembering thing,a nd remembering to do things, and I am always forgetting (or procrastinating). The cool thing is we work together so well! He helps me get things done, and (I hope)I help him relax a bit. we rarely argue, and generally come to a compromise or agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I forgot to mention that I feel like you need a bit of opposite and a lot of similarity to work in a relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just described my relationship. We've always stood by the 'opposites attract' adage and it's worked so far - not perfectly, but pretty darn well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both TWN and I are prone to clutter and not all that worried about the cleaning. Lots of vacuuming and sweeping, some dusting, very little mopping. It's better with Geekling actually, as we need to keep her out of things.

    Otherwise, our habit is to ensure that we have friends invited over every couple weeks so that we will be motivated to do a proper tidy/clean.

    ReplyDelete