10 August 2009

The Scent of a Woman

I don't wear perfume.

Never really have. I don't even like heavily scented soaps or shampoo. In fact, I usually go out of my way to buy "unscented' products of all kinds - from laundry detergent to cleaning products to personal toiletries.

This is mostly because I'm very sensitive to smells of all kinds - some scents can actually trigger a migraine headache for me. (Red onion, for example. Gets me every time. It's weird, I know, but, there it is.)

Plus, when it comes to toiletries, I think the natural smell of a clean, healthy person is preferable to just about anything else.

But I have two exceptions to this rule:

1) The ZenHusband has recently started using Axe soap and deodorant.

Mmmm. You know those commercials where the women are falling all over themselves to get at the guy who's wearing the Axe product? Yeah, I laughed at those, too. I'm not laughing now. That stuff smells awesome. Like, OMG-let's-get-a-sitter-tonight awesome. So, yeah, he'll be getting some more of that in his Christmas stocking this year. :)

2) I do, occasionally, like to indulge in a lightly scented lotion or soap or bubble bath for myself. But I'm picky. I like light, clean smells - I usually stick with a citrus or vanilla base - nothing floral or overly sweet. And it has to be a very mild scent - just a little hint of something extra, not an overwhelming cover up.

Enter the temptation that is Bath and Body Works.

I used to go there all the time, but I hadn't been in ages. Then, this weekend, they sucked me in with their buy-two-get-one-free promotion and $5 specials.

So, I went in thinking I'd get some lotion or bubble bath and left with:
Not sure if I'm going to like that last one. Might be too strong for me. We'll see.

So, I'm looking forward to trying these out. But, sampling the different scents in the shop got me thinking about the amazing power of the sense of smell.

Smell is one of the strongest triggers of memory and emotion. And it seems like everyone has "good" and "bad" triggers. So, I'm always curious about the different types of scents that mean and do different things for different people.

Campfire smoke, chlorine, gunpowder, ocean, coffee, cloves, horses ... these scents all have strong associations for me, meanings and memories beyond simple smells.

Smells can change moods, trigger physical responses, transport us through time. It's an incredibly powerful sense. And we take it so much for granted.

I know someone who actually lost his sense of smell after a head injury. I know. Of all of the senses to lose, that would be the preferred one, right? He jokes that it makes being a father of two boys easier.

But, still. Think about it. No smell of fresh cut grass or impending rain, no barbecue or baby powder, no baking pies or pine trees ... how dull would your life be without the smells - good and bad - we take for granted every day?

###

How about you? Do you have specific scents you prefer for yourself or your significant other? Scents you find appealing? Scents you avoid? Scents that bring back memories or change your mood?

20 comments:

  1. That Yoda was a hard-ass.

    I used to love the mix of smells that made up the scent of Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, where the Orioles used to play. It was probably a combination of beer, overcooked hot dogs, cigarette/cigar smoke and other things I won't mention - sort of gross individually but it all added up to smell like baseball, and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jedi training is not for wussies, YEO.

    Isn't it funny that even smells that aren't necessarily "good" can add up to a happy sense memory?

    Personally, I like the smell of farms - not really "pleasant" smells, right? But it brings back fond memories of childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coconut lime stuff is a favourite of my wife's as well (we have B&BW hand soaps in the bathrooms).

    She also prefers the scent of mint... of her favourite body wash is Freeze from Lush. Unfortunately, they don't sell it in Canada anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put on some of the coconut lime this morning - I really like it. Very fresh and "wake-up-to-the-day" kind of scent.

    Mint is nice, too - as long as it's not too strong.

    When I was pregnant, mint and citrus were my morning-sickness lifesavers! Just smelling them would help stave of the nausea!

    (Pssst - I'm in the States, you know. If you promise not to tell those uptight customs officials, I can maybe hook you up with the good stuff for the wife!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothng like the sweet smell of Napalm in the morning!!!

    My fave scent ona woman is vanilla! Or anywhere for that matter. Make me hungry or something.

    I agree with your assessment of Axe. I use it.

    I don't think the chicks falling over and such has much to do with the scent though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, there's that trademark Sage modesty. ;)

    My husband likes the vanilla scents, too, And other fruity or "foodie" scented lotions and such.

    I joke that it's proof that the path to a man's heart really is through his stomach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hell I thought every woman knew that!

    I didn't know I was breaking new ground here.

    I don't worry about modesty I just state facts!

    hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to travel with security.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lancelot wears cologne from time to time, but I find I prefer the smell of his deodorant, which is just plain old Old Spice. Funny, eh?

    I wear some perfume oils from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, and I looooove them. Otherwise I tend to go for vanilla, foody, musky scents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old Spice always reminds me of high school dances. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love's Baby soft perfume totally takes me back to my childhood. And there is a distinct "restaurant smell" that anyone who has ever worked in a restauarant or food service knows immediately (because you'd always go home smelling like that after a shift).

    Lately, I love nothing more than the scent of fresh basil. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally going to buy the husband some axe now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the scent of Victoria Secret's Love Spell, and Pear (the taste of that one too) Romantic Wishes and VeryBerry!

    i'm a victoria Secret girl!

    But for Memories... there is nothing like the smell of a home baked Chocolate Chip cookie! :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have good and bad memories with smells myself. I can't smell potpouri scented air freshener without thinking of the abusive ex. That's the strongest one for me other than Bath and Body's Cool Citrus Basil. I wore that when I was in the hospital having my first baby. It was a clean, fresh scent.

    I can't go without my lotions and potions, but I have to be careful what I use because I will have an asthma flare up with some. I am currently in love with Bath and Body's Rainkissed Leaves. Very clean and light. For bed I like scents that are a little heavier like Degree's Romantic scent. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate strong perfumes, drive me nuts. There was a guy on the bus this morning that must have showered in some nasty aftershave. Phew. Had to open the window - car exhaust was a preferable scent.

    But a subtle scent, on top of (as you mentioned) - the scent of a healthy human being - can be sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brutalism: I was a waitress in college. I know that smell!

    K: They have several different kinds now, including, I'm told "chocolate axe"?!?! Gotta check that one out!

    Shelle: I love VS lingerie, but I haven't tried their lotions. Pear sounds nice.

    GLH: I almost bought the Rainkissed Leaves. I liked it a lot. It's on my list to try next time!

    Free Man: I have a coworker who does that sometimes - piles on the aftershave. Makes my eyes water and I can smell it in my office for hours after. HATE that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally agree with you on the Axe. I bought some for my husband--the chocolate one??--and oh man, I go nuts when he wears it..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to say that we went scent free 4 years ago when my newborn (now 4 year old... ) had an aversion to scents. I too have become so sensitive to smells that I can smell them on people like one can smell cigarette smoke on people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't really have any scents for myself, but people smell like things that they don't think they smell like sometimes.

    I wonder what I smell like? No one can tell me.

    I do love crushed leaves, and the smell in the air right before it snows.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wear unscented stuff too. I'd rather get a woman hooked to my scent than to Axe or some other scent that any old guy can purchase!

    My son wears Axe, though, and swears by it.

    ReplyDelete