27 August 2009

Music has charms to soothe a savage breast

Have you ever scrolled aaaaaalllll the way down to the bottom of my blog?

If you have, you've seen - in addition to a great LOLcat - my favorite Playlist. The exact contents of the player change a bit from time to time. But, for the most part, this is the soundtrack of a lot of my days.

One of the things I love about my job is that I don't spend all day every day at a desk. But, I do still spend quite a lot of time on my computer at work. And, when I can, I love to have music playing in my office while I work.

Sometimes, I pick a specific artist to listen to. Sometimes, I just set my whole i-tunes library (which is quite a large and eclectic collection) on "shuffle" and just see what happens. But, more often, this Playlist is what is playing in the background as I write or edit or design or code.

So, when I was invited to be a Guest DJ over at Music Savvy Mom, this was the Playlist that came to mind. S0, I hit "shuffle" and jotted down the first 10 songs that came up as well as my first thoughts about each one.

So, if you want to hear a snippet of my "typical" day, pop on over and see the results of my Guest DJ Gig.

If you're interested (and you haven't already done it) it's fast and easy to create your own Playlist and embed it in your own blog.

But, if you do, just promise me that you will NOT set it to auto-play, okay? Nothing freaks me out more than clicking over to a blog and having strange music suddenly blaring from my speakers because I forgot to turn them back down after cranking them up to 100% to hear some freakishly quite YouTube video. Jarring!

(Okay, well, yeah, lots of things freak me out more than that, but it's still annoying, so don't do it.)

If you do have or create a Playlist, let me know and I'll pop over and check it out.

Even if you don't, I'm curious: Where and what kind of music do you listen to? I know that music is pretty important to some of my readers (I'm lookin' at you SFD, DGB and A Free Man.) So, tell me about the role music plays in your everyday life?

###

PS: If you're interested in being a Guest DJ at Music Savvy Mom, you can get the skinny on that here.

PPS: See that pretty Label Cloud in my sidebar? Want one for your own blog? Well, now you can have one just like it! I had to make mine the hard way (by stealing the code from another blogger). But you have it easy: Blogger just added it as a standard widget. You lucky little blogger, you. If you try it out, let me know and I'll stop by and see it. :)

14 comments:

  1. I, pretty much, can't do anything without music. I wear my MP3 player while I wash dishes, OK.
    What I listen to depends on what I am doing.
    For instance, right now I am working on tattoo flash. So I am listening to music that reminds me of working in the tattoo studio. Motley Crue, Metallica, old hard rock.
    But usually my playlist is a little more tame. Jason Mraz, Jose Stone, Trace Adkins...

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't scroll all the way down your page. Someday we'll have lunch and you'll tell me why my IE is so fussy with your page.

    And nothing, Zenmom, NOTHING can soothe your savage breast! Not for lack of trying, tho...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Missy can't do much without music. I listen to it at the office, in the car, and at home.

    I love Pink and her along with Fergie are my workout favs because it has good beat and will keep me going for 30 min or so.

    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tastes tend to be a lot harder than yours (at least from what you posted in your setlist).

    Bands like System of a Down, Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Billy Talent, Silversun Pickups are all good.

    For reference, here are the top plays in my iTunes from the past few weeks:

    addicted. - Saving Abel
    Gimme Sympathy - Metric
    I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab for Cutie
    Running Up That Hill - Placebo
    Inside The Fire - Disturbed
    Tales Of Brave Ulysses - Cream
    Bright Side - Thornley
    Toy Train - Rhymes With Orange
    Dancing For Rain - Rise Against
    Canon Rock - Aria Asia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live for music. Music lives for me. It is the one thing I spend money for myself.

    Okay so iPod says this is my top ten lately:

    Leave Out All The Rest (Linkin Park)
    Yellow (Coldplay)
    Breathe (Anna Nalick)
    Strawberry Swing (Coldplay)
    Supermassive Black Hole (Muse)
    Pony (Erin McCarley)
    Love Song (Sara Barielles)
    Banana Pancakes (Jack Johnson)
    Crash (Dave Matthews)
    Flume (Bon Iver)

    Variety is the spice of life :) Off to create my own playlist. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its kind of funny...I listen to country in the winter and more of a popular mix in the spring and summer. Maybe it's because in the winter I am so depressed that listening to the misery of someone losing the girlfriend, dog and job makes my life look so much better

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missy: I'm the same way. I would walk around wearing my MP3 player all the time, if I could. And I totally have "theme" music for different tasks - working out, housework, computer work, writing. Gotta get in the mood.

    Mintz: Ah bummer. Dunno why that is. But bring your laptop, buy me lunch and I'll "hmmm" and "ahhh" and pretend I know what I'm doing.

    Steph: Thanks! I like Pink for workouts, too - especially on the treadmill. :)

    SFD: I like a few of those groups - Cream, Death Cab for Cutie, Disturbed - othes I haven't heard of. I'll have to check them out!

    Andrea: I think your itunes and my itunes would be good friends. ;) Hey - why not be a Music Savvy Mom and be a guest DJ?!

    Chief: I used to listen to country a lot more when I was younger. But, yeah, now I definitely have to be in a specific kind of mood - and it's rare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your playlist and as I said on MSM, never apologize for Motorin'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NOW I KNOW why you don't visit me. I am one of those freaks that has my music on autoplay. Sorry, it is one of the things that is different from most blogs. I luv music, and have my own "life's background music." Love your list. I have a wide range of music in my iTunes, too. From show tunes, to classical, to Scottish bagpipes, to oldies, rap, and ska. Of course I also have top 40 songs and hard rock. Depends on my mood.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music is, was and will always be important in my life. Though I'm sad to say that I spend less time now listening to music than I used to.

    On my commute, I have been listening to podcasts, cause listening to words keeps my brain from wandering and thinking too much about work.

    That said, I dig all kinds of music. I loves me some Phish. I'd put G. Love, Beck and Ben Folds on the must listen to list. I'm also crazy about the Fratellis.

    The iPod saved my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link!

    A playlist, I don't know... I've been listening to a lot of the following bands lately:

    Wilco, Everclear, M.I.A., Mazzy Star, Drive-by Truckers, Eels. It's sort of what comes up in my mind and works at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Z-Mom (I am so calling you that from now on), thanks SO much for DJing - it was fun, and you ended up with a great shuffle.

    And, YES, I definitely see some MSM DJs in the comments here! (Don't let 'Mom' in the title fool you - we've got Dads, Aunts, Uncles and Orphan DJs, too.) I'd feel squicky emailing y'all from a comment to bug you, so PLEASE do send me a shuffle!

    System of a Down, Silversun Pickups (I'm seeing them in October!), DCFC, Placebo, Linkin Park, Muse, Bon Iver, Beck, G. Love, Wilco, Drive-By Truckers (new CD drops Sept 1), Eels...you're KILLING me, people. Love it - hope to see y'all soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey one of my favorites is YOUR BODY IS A WONDERLAND.

    Music helps me get through EVERYTHING... work, house cleaning, working out... the list goes on and on!

    Missy worked a tatoo joint? learn something new everyday don't we???

    Anyway... Congrats on the HOT MAMA button... I'm catching up on my reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music has always been a part of my life, but I just don't seem to be as up to date about it anymore.
    You can usually find me listening to U2, Five for Fighting or older 80's rock ballad type of songs.

    ReplyDelete