02 December 2009

Coming out of the (Geek) Closet

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen one of my recent Tweets about my "Geek Couture" - my collection of geeky t-shirts. Well, now, you, gentle readers, can see a few highlights of the collection, all in one place! I know: I should totally start a museum, right?

Johnny Mnemonic

Yeah, I know if was only a B+ movie at best. But, what can I say? I love cheesy scifi. Plus, it's based on a short story by William Gibson, father of cyberpunk. No self-respecting scifi geek could resist that!

Speaking of futile resistance...

I can't find it in my closet right now, which is kind of annoying. Because I have one just like this - only without the word "Engage" on it. So, yeah, it's Jean-Luc Picard. Shut up! He's totally the best Captain ever! No, seriously, shut up.

Mischief Managed


Fortunately, my mom is as much of a Harry Potter Fan as I am. She scours ebay for all the best HP gear. So I can usually count on getting cool HP t-shirts and other paraphernalia for birthdays and Christmas.

Unorthodox

Technically, this one is the ZenHusband's t-shirt. But I wear it at least as often as he does. I've also been known to "borrow" his Simpsons tees and a few others from his own geeky collection.

Bard to the Bone

File this one - and my three or four other Shakespeare fan-tees - in the literary geek folder. (Using the Dewey Decimal System, please.) I picked up both of these at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival - one of my top five favorite places in the whole world.

Wild Things

For the record, I had this shirt way before the movie came out.
This also has the distinction of being the only pink thing in my entire wardrobe.

This isn't the entire geek couture collection, of course, only a few highlights. For the next edition of Geek Couture, maybe I'll pull some samples from my expansive Disney collection. Or some of my geeky jewelry and accessories. Nah, too much work. Just trust me: It's very cool. In a nerdy sort of way. ;)

And still, it's a rather modest collection, by geek standards. For example, you'll notice the stunning lack of gamer shirts, techy tees and Whedon-esque attire. *hangs head in shame* I have no excuse.

I really, really, want this one, though.



And, um, yeah, pretty much all of these. ;)

Okay, I showed you mine. Now you show me yours.
What goofy things are hiding in your closet?

22 comments:

  1. Dude, I'm embarrassed FOR YOU.

    (And I'm the one posting my old journals. Think about that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SFD: Says the guy with a stuffed Boba Fett? :P

    Besides, I thought our blogs are where we are supposed to bare our souls and spill the good, bad and ugly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. T-shirt posting indeed! You just wanted an excuse to show off your boobs today. But don't worry, if the Internet had been around in Dorothy Parker's day, she would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trooper: Oh, like you're one to talk. Between the two of us, which one has had more boobs posted on his blog, hmmm? Besides, if you think this is risque, just wait till sweeps week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. RE: Wild Things T

    Damn. What a rack!

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  6. My current favorite t-shirt says "Meh."

    It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, my. I am inspired now to display my geeky t-shirt collection. Many are falling apart now so I should do this soon.

    bows,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! You stole my quote ;-)

    I tend to not trumpet my geekiness. I think it becomes obvious quickly. They made a Johnny Mnemonic shirt? Madness! Not a horrible movie just so weak vis a vis it's source.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. A cool t-shirt collection is a must. Just saw Wild Thing yesterday. It was all right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a shirt with pi on it - made out of the digits of pi. I have my caffeine shirt. And my Linux shirt. And those are the ones I can think of. Yeah, I have a geek closet too!

    I love your collection! :)
    ~Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just remembered I USED to have a shirt that said
    'And God said...'
    then it had the differential form of Maxwell's equation
    then it said 'and there was light'

    but that was before I knew what Maxwell equations were. It just had a black hole on the front so I thought it was 'cool'

    can you tell I was a virgin throught High School? And uhmmm college.

    ReplyDelete
  12. M!!! o_0 Shame on you! 'Sides, it's not like you've never seen it before.

    DGB: I think I need one of those shirts. For work. ;) Actually, I say "meh" all the time. Maybe it would save me time.

    ZDZD: I'd love to see yours! :)

    RLoTFC: First, I really need - need - to know the story behind your screen name. Second: I do believe that quote is Mr. Heinlein's, not yours. But, I do admit that I was inspired to post it after a recent visit to your blog. Check out this old post o' mine for more: http://onezenmom.blogspot.com/2008/07/grok-it.html

    Also, my 15-year-old cousin has that "let there be light shirt"! He's a super-geek in training. He wants to go to MIT.

    James: I'd like to see it, too. But I think my boys are still too young (though we read the book all the time!) so I'm waiting for DVD.

    Emmy: I totally want the caffeine molecule one! Engineers and IT people have some of the best Tees and Toys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Mischeif Managed. Where did you get that one?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed that part about sharing ours the first time.

    My fav - Punkin Chunkin 2009 with a flying pumpkin on the front :)

    Other than that I don't wear shirts with logo's or designs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrea: My mom gave me that one last year. I'm pretty sure she got it on ebay. :)

    Most of my shirts are "plain", too, believe it or not. The only ones I have with writing on them are my geeky tees and a couple of "souvenir" tees from Hawaii and from the Salt Lake City Olympics.

    Since I dress "professionally" for work, I mostly only wear my tees - including the geek gear on the weekends or around the house. Otherwise, I might have more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sure, I tell you, you tell someone else, then soon everyone knows and I'm not special anymore. Not on my watch sister ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bard to the Bone gave me a much needed giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. RLoTFC: You realize this means I'll have to cyber-stalk you until I figure it out, right?

    A Free Man: If this lightened your mood this week, even for just a bit, that makes me happy. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just got finished watching all of Firefly and Serenity. For of course the like seven hundredth time.

    So guess which shirt made me smile the most?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all the shirts, and am quite jealous of how fab your boobs look in the Wild Things one.

    ReplyDelete