17 December 2009

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read

Last year, I started keeping a formal reading list. It was kind a fun to go back and look at the books I'd read over the year. So I decided to do it again in 2009.

Except, looking at it now, this year's list is kinda sad. I read about 40 books in 2009. Which is probably less than half of what I'd read in a "normal" year (whatever that is).

I could make excuses: Busy year, two small kids, new challenges at work, more blog reading ... blah blah woof woof. Whatever.

Bottom line is: It's slim pickin's on the old ZenMom Reading List this year.

And the titles that are there ... well, let's just say this year's list is heavy on the light reading: Lots of sci-fi and fantasy, some mysteries, and a few vampires. I do love vampires. :) Astute readers will also note the continuing underlying theme of strong female protagonists.
 
In fact, seems most of these are continuations of series I've been reading for a while. I think the only new-to-me authors on this year's list were Ann Aguirre and Jeanne Stein.

The good news is that I can't think of a single book on the list that I didn't enjoy.

The really good news is that my in-laws usually give me a very generous Amazon Gift Card for Christmas, so I hope to be stocking up soon on several books that have been languishing away on my Amazon Wish List! Hopefully that bodes well for next year's list. :)

So, now, for posterity (snicker) and anyone who cares, here's ...

ZenMom's 2009 Reading List

The Time Paradox - Colfer, Eoin
Dead Over Heels - Davidson, Mary Janice
Hotter Than Hell - Harrison, Kim
True Blood - Waddell, Patricia
Promises in Death - Robb, J. D.
Plum Spooky - Evanovich, Janet
Watchmen - Moore, Alan and Gibbons, Dave
Just a Geek - Wheaton, Wil
Grimspace - Aguirre, Ann
Bone Crossed - Briggs, Patricia
Magic Strikes - Andrews, Ilona
Swallowing Darkness - Hamilton, Laurell K.
Fray - Whedon, Joss
Wanderlust - Aguirre, Ann
Blue Diablo - Aquirre, Ann
Made to be Broken - Armstrong, Kelley
Dancing Barefoot - Wheaton, Wil
Dead and Gone - Harris, Charlaine
Undead and Unwelcome - Davidson, Mary Janice
Dime Store Magic - Armstrong, Kelley
Industrial Magic - Armstrong, Kelley
White Witch, Black Curse - Harrison, Kim
Unusual Suspects - Harris, Charlaine
The Prophet - Gibran, Kahlil
My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon - Armstrong, Kelley
Holidays are Hell - Harrison, Kim
In Odd We Trust - Koontz, Dean
Suite 606 - Robb, J. D.
Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand - Vaughn, Carrie
A Carribean Mystery - Christie, Agatha
Glory Road - Heinlein, Robert
The Becoming - Stein, Jeanne
Finger Lickin' Fifteen - Evanovich, Janet
Skin Trade - Hamilton, Laurell K.
On The Prowl - (anthology) Briggs, Patricia


On a side note: See all those links up there? You can thank Amazon Associates for that! Used to be I'd have had to go manually look up and link up each book title. Blech. No thanks. But Amazon and Blogger just created this neat new widget that let's me do it all with two clicks right in my Dashboard! I know most of you are yawning about that. But, geek that I am, I thought it was very cool! And it made linking up my titles WAY easier!


So, what are you reading right now? What was your favorite book you read this year?


Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

14 comments:

  1. Gee... I think you may have missed one.

    Or do I not rate? :-p~

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course yours rates! But it's not a book - it's a screenplay - that's a different list. Of one. ;P

    Ironically, yours is probably the most original thing I read all year.

    Wait ... it's tie. Ilona Andrews' books are pretty original, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read some of the same books on your list! :)

    I think one of my favorite reads was Pride, Prejudice and Zombies. I found it hilarious - and a good way to read Pride & Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps not surprisingly, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters are on my aforementioned Wish List. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't count the manual to Final Cut Express (and you shouldn't even though it's 1100 pages), I've sadly only read two books this year:

    A Dirty Job - Christopher Moore
    Watchmen - By some English comic guys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading "Welcome to your brain: why you lose your car keys but never forget how to drive and other puzzles of everyday life" right now. Yes, I'm a dork.

    I don't read books that much, maybe one a month. Earlier this year I read "Wiser into Battle" the autobiography of Ricardo Sanchez, who was the commander of US ground forces in Iraq during the Abu Ghraib time period. Great (and terrible) reading into the dysfunction of the Bush admin during the early days of the occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AW! "Finger Lickin' Fifteen" wasn't ANYthing like I was hopin' it'd be! ;-)

    I've read (almost) all of Laurie Notaro's books and I've saved them for you...if I ever see you again. You'll adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 40? A light year?

    I have never been an avid reader, honestly. In fact, my mother is SO STOKED to be able to get me two books this year for Christmas because I asked for them it isn't even funny.

    One of them is The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons. The other? The Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm I don't keep track. On the new (to me anyway) front the very best thing I read was The Crying of Lot 49. Hot damn that was a good book. I bought Gravity's Rainbow, but went on vacation 100 pages in, totally lost track of the story and now need to wait until I feel the urge to restart.

    Read and re-read a bunch of Raymond Feist fantasies (one of the few I can still stomach in that genre), some Louis L'Amour westerns (nearly done with his stuff!, they're short though so it's not that impressive). Tried a few Elmore Leonard westerns and liked em. Read a few Parker mysteries, they're as hard to track as cotton candy but fun too. Reread Lolita, The Fall (a semi-annual practice), American Gods and Cryptonomicon.

    Right now I'm reading SiaSL and some Crichton fluffery.

    Maybe I'll start a list this year. It's hard though, I find myself less and less patient with new authors these days. Getting cranky in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joss Whedon wrote a book? I have to read that.

    I am a Brown Coat wanna be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DGB: I realy loved Watchmen. Just sorry it took me so many years to "get around to it". You should check out "Fray" by Joss Whedon. It's a graphic novel and it's great.

    Hubman: I loved that post you did where you posted pics of your bookshelves. I might have to steal that idea, sometime. But I also remember from those pics that you read a lot more non-fiction than I do, including those biographies that - no offense meant - would probably put me to sleep. :) The only biography I've ever read that didn't bore me to tears was one about Dean Koontz. But I do think that with the heavier reading on your list, your books should probably each count for 3-4 of mine. ;)

    Mintz: Okay, I admit it, that made me laugh. ;) I had to Goggle Laurie Notaro - I'll try not to take offense that you think I should read a book called Idiot Girls. ;P

    SFD: My husband gave me a hard time to calling 40 a a "light" year, too. I think he read two whole books this year. But, yeah, for me it's kinda on the light side. I think I read around 50 last year and I'd guess my pre-kids yearly average to be closer to 80. So, it's kinda sad to me that the number keeps going down. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go look up the Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary on Amazon, because that sounds interesting. :)

    RLoTFC: Do you think they will take away my English Minor if I admit I've never read Thomas Pynchon? You should start keeping a list - it's fun to go back and re-think about them all at the end of the year. May I suggest one new author you might enjoy? Check out "Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch - a very impressive debut novel. No, get offa my lawn. ;)

    James: Shiny!!! As I said waaaay up there in my response to DGB, "Fray" is a graphic novel. But, if you are a fan of Whedon, you know that no matter what the format, you are going to get a good story. Actually, I think the graphic novel format works perfectly for his storytelling talents. I borrowed a tattered copy from the local library a few months ago, but I plan to pick up my very own smooth and glossy copy for myself one of these days. And I shall hug it and squeeze it and call it George. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading The 19th Wife for my book club. Interesting read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only got around to him this year. But I would HIGHLY recommend CoL49, it quickly entered the list of favorite books ever. Gravity's Rainbow ( what I read), was good. But lacked the...zip. Thanks fit the recommendation, I'll look into it. Though, it's part of a 'projected' seven book cycle that's rarely a good sign. One of my biggest gripes with the idiots who wrote fantasy these days is they apparently ignore their editors. More is rarely better. Stupid Martin, stupid Jordan (who'd suck even with good editing)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that quote!

    I'm sad to admit I don't think I've read ONE of those books???

    So I'll have to try one and see what kind of reading it brings :)

    Shelle-BlokThoughts
    http://blokthoughtsnmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete