11 December 2009

Treat Exchange: Uber-Krispies

Veronica at Another Suburban Mom is hosting a Treat Exchange!

Now, it's pretty well known, that' I'm not much of a cook. But I do enjoy a tasty treat. And this is my favorite. It's my mother-in-law's "secret" recipe for Rice Krispie Treats. 'Round our house, we call them Uber-Krispies, to distinguish them from the vastly inferior, made-with-marshmallow variety.

I often tell my husband the real reason I married him was to get my hands on this recipe. Yeah, they're that good. And they are so easy to make! 

Uber-Krispies

6 oz Butterscotch chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
4 c Rice Krispies

Melt chips and peanut butter together in saucepan. Stir in Krispies, coating the cereal.

1 tsp water
6 oz chocolate chips
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp butter

Combine in saucepan and melt.
Layer in greased pan: Coated kispies, chocolate mix, coated krispies.

Refrigerator for at least an hour. Overnight for best results. Serve chilled.

Tip: I usually make two pans. One for me and one for everyone else. ;)

Don't forget to stop by Veronica's blog to see what other good eats are being offered up in the Treat Exchange.

ETA:

Couple of suggestions: I like to melt the chocolate in a double boiler - I use a stainless steel mixing bowl on a medium-sized saucepan filled with soft-boiling water.

The most important thing with the chocolate is to heat it until it's melted, but not to "cook" it. Overheating it will cause textural issues when it cools. 


Basically, once you start heating the chocolate -don't take you attention away from it. And stir often. As soon as it's melted, take it off the heat and and pour/spread it into onto your bottom krispie layer right away.

Second, chilling it overnight is best. To let the layers set. Otherwise, they will be (more) crumbly and less cohesive. (I am usually way to impatient to follow this rule.)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we like to make it a little more festive by putting fine red and green sprinkles on top at Christmas time. (Or orange and black at Halloween or red and pink at valentines day, etc.)

12 comments:

  1. Those look sooooo good. They also sound dangerous. Like scarf the whole pan and spend the day in a chocolaty stupor dangers.


    Thank you so much for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night while watching tv, my wife turned to me and asked, "So, do you want to bake with me this weekend?"

    "No, I don't think so."

    I just emailed her this post with the subject "wanna bake with me?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not connected to a printer, but this sounded so good I just copied the whole thing by hand to make this w/e!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby is a huge Krispie treat fan, so we will definitely be making these! :)
    ~Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "Uber Krispies" in my rss reader and was immediately drawn in. I love rice krispy treats and these sound fantastic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! We'll make them this weekend right after the gingerbread house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. How did you know what I wanted for Christmas? I'll be looking for them in the mail...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, any twist on this old classic sounds good to me. Now, off to pick up some supplies!

    ReplyDelete