21 December 2009

Let the sun shine in

Happy Winter Solstice!

Today is the shortest day and longest night of the year. Starting tomorrow, the light begins it's return as the days become longer and longer, until we celebrate the Summer Solstice. (Well, at least in this hemisphere. It's all bass-ackwards Down Under. ;) Sorry, Chris.)

I don't attach any religious significance to the solstices, but I do like to note their passage as they remind me of the cyclical nature of, well, nature. And I've always found the mythos and traditions surrounding them very interesting.

(We're not planning any wild Saturnalias here, but, if you see me under the mistletoe ... ) ;)

On a more personal note, I look forward to the Winter Solstice because, right about now, I start to get itchy for more daylight. I hate that the sun is barely rising when I leave for work and that it's already dark by the time I get home. The lack of sunlight makes me a little cranky.

Ironically, I spend very little time in direct sunlight in the other seasons - very fair skin and a tendency for heat-related migraines make that a Bad Idea for me - but I've still never really liked the cold, dark days of Winter. I don't do cold well.

Evidence: We spent a couple of weeks at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002. Loved it! But I had to be bundled up like Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story just to leave the house. Brrrr!

Spring and early Fall are my favorite seasons. I sometimes think that if it wasn't for the fact that Christmas is my favorite holiday, I'd probably feel resentful of Winter - it would just be that cold, dark time in between the "fun" seasons.

But, for some reason, the solstice celebrations and their history and traditions remind me to take each season for what it is. To enjoy Winter for being Winter rather than resent it for not being Spring. If that makes any sense.

I'm still glad I live in sunny California, though. Especially when so many of my i-friends are blogging and tweeting about freezing ice and snow! *brrrr*

I am most definitely on the HeatMiser side of the weather debate. ;)

Wherever you are and whatever the weather is like there, wishing you and yours a Happy Solstice. :)

"Live each season as it passes;
breathe the air, drink the drink,
taste the fruit, and resign yourself 
to the influences of each." 
~ Henry David Thoreau

11 comments:

  1. What the hell did you do, smear vaseline on the camera lens or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to think about it. The short days and cold weather affects my mood. Knowing now that each day will be getting longer gives me an upside to focus on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very well put and made me see that we need to take each season as it is and not be so bitchy about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in the Pacific Northwest, you wonder why no one has come up with ant "rain sports".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This getting dark at 4:30 is messing with my mind. Don't like driving home in the dark. Plus, I miss being able to play with the kids outside until bedtime.

    However, I'm glad it's not 110 degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear I could have written this exact same blog post.

    Ditto to all of that.

    Happy Solstice chica.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's the other way around, Zen Mom, bass-ackwards in your hemisphere.

    I'm a big fan of the warm weather as well, but I will miss the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zen...

    I wish you and yours the joys of the SPirit of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right...every six months or so, which means I'm not due for a few months!!!

    I love winter although fall is my favorite season.

    I just love being able to wear long sleeves and pants... just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dammit! Didn't I say I had that song in my head a while back? And here you go putting it back right as it got out. Well, guess it's better than she's coming round the mountain' that Emmy stuck in there.

    Anyway, I agree totally with spring/fall being superior. Just call me goldilocks. Not too hot, not too cold, just perfect!

    Merry Christmas Zen. Glad to have metcha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete