24 February 2009

One of these kids is doin' her own thing

I went to Target last Sunday wearing this shirt.


Yeeeah. That probably wasn't too bright.

Might as well have been naked and riding a horse down the housewares aisle for all the freaky looks it got me.

Even better than the looks I get when I wear this one:


I think I just need to get one like this to complete the "odd-one-out" wardrobe trifecta.


Yes, I know. Everyone thinks California is one big liberal love-fest. (That, and we all surf.) But it's not true. Sorry to burst your Baywatch bubble. But California has communities that rival the Bible Belt in their conservatism.

There seems to be an inversely proportional relationship between conservatism and living distance from the ocean.

And my house is HOURS away from the ocean.

I live in a god-fearin', gun-totin', right-votin' bastion of political and social conservatism (think Mayberry circa 1950).

It's not all bad ... in fact, there are many things I really love about this little town.

But, every once in a while, something happens to drive home the reality that I do not quite fit the mold.

And that's okay, I guess. I'm not really one to worry too much about what other people think about my personal life.

I figure, live and let live, right? You don't need to "approve" of my life any more than I need to "approve" of yours. We can all just do what makes us happy, right? And leave everyone else alone to do what makes them happy. Right?

Right?

Mmmm. Wouldn't that be nice?



1 comment:

  1. I love that you boldly go where no Mayberry citizen has gone before...you Pagan! I love it! :-) I especially like the Harry Potter T-shirt...that is cool! Now I am off to catch some waves before I go to work! Ha!

    ReplyDelete