02 July 2008

Library Day

Around here, "Saturday" has been replaced by "Library Day". :)


I enrolled Riley in the local library's Summer Reading Program and we've been having a blast. At the end of each week, he is so excited about "Library Day".


He and I go to the library together every Saturday and pick out three or four books for the week. Our goal is to read at least 5-7 books each week. Then, on the next Satruday, we write down the titles of all of the books we've read that week and we take the list back to the Library.


For meeting his weekly reading goal, he gets to pick a "prize" from the "treasure chest" at the library. They are just little plastic tinkets and doo-dads, but he gets so excited that he has "earned" a "prize" each week. He picks out something special and then can't wait to show Daddy when we get home.


Our visits to the library are a lot of fun. He loves picking out new books. He also likes to check on the fish in the tanks in the kids section - including "Nemo" and "Dory" in the big salt water tank.


I wish I had thought to keep a copy of our weekly reading lists for myself, but I haven't. Maybe I should start doing that this week. It might be fun to look back at what we've read.


So far, we've read about pirates, dragons, astronauts, Atlantis, bears, hens, rats, gators ... it's been terribly exciting.


Some books he wants to read over and over again. Others he's done with after one go-through. Sometimes I read them to him and then he "reads" them back to me.


Griffin doesn't usually have the patience to sit through a whole book - unless he gets to chew on it. But he's been getting better about sitting on Mommy's lap while I read to them.


We supplement the library books with the boy's personal library (which is quite well stocked, actually, thanks to their bibliophile mom.)


Some of Riley's current favorites from the home collection are "The Poky Little Puppy", "Runaway Bunny", "The Incredibles", "Whose Mouse are You?" and "Blues Sleepover". Griffin likes the animal-matching book "Who is My Mother?".


And, of course, Riley loves the "Prince Riley" stories that his dad and I take turns making up at bedtime. Griffin prefers a lullaby before bed.


Hopefully, we are starting good reading habits that will last them both a lifetime. But, in the meantime, we are having a lot of fun.


Now if only I could find the time to read some of MY books. My "to read" pile next to the bed is starting to get dangerously high. :)

2 comments:

  1. We're library folk as well. Actually going to Storytime for Toddlers in about an hour today and then our Library Day is on Fridays. Dante's birthday is coming up and alot of the moms we've invited have called to ask what he needs. My answer to all of them: he loves books. I, like you, hope to instill good reading habits, and it seems to be working. And I, like you as well, have a pile of books on my bedside table that are collecting dust.

    Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired us! I will be having Amy go through her old books and chose what she would like to send Riley. I have been cleaning house and getting rid of stuff we don't use anymore so this is a perfect opportunity to give to those we know can use what we don't. Amy agrees and is excited to share with her cousin. I wish Amy liked to read. I tried to instill that love in her like you, both me and her dad read voraciously, but no luck. She is an artist and likes to do art things. I am grateful for that.

    Wish we were there! Loved the new pics on myspace!

    ReplyDelete