01 January 2011

Irresolute


It's no secret that I'm not big on making New Year's resolutions. I'm all for goals, but I just don't see any special significance in setting them at the turning of the calendar 

Still, I suppose I do have a few things I'd like to accomplish in 2011. In no particular order, I'd like to:
  • Beat SciFi Dad at Words with Friends. At least once.
  • Earn my Yellow Belt in Kenpo. Maybe even my Orange Belt. 
  • See at least one "grown-up" movie in the theater. This is harder than it sounds. I seriously can't remember the last non-G-Rated movie we went to.
  • Develop a get-out-of-debt plan that doesn't involve faking my own death. 
  • Comment more frequently on my favorite blogs. Which, for some strange reason, are all dad blogs. Is that weird?
  • Write more. Here, yes. But also on my other personal writing projects. Because if I keep focusing only on the writing I get paid for, I'm pretty sure my brain will start to leak out of my ears before midsummer.
  • Read more. Because the pile of books next to my bed is getting tall enough that if it topples over, it could trap or injure a pet or small child. 
  • And, of course, complete that annual update of the old Zombie Survival Plans.
So, do you have any big plans for 2011?

Zen

###

New Year's Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving the road to hell with them as usual. ~ Mark Twain

New Year's eve is like every other night; there is no pause in the march of the universe, no breathless moment of silence among created things that the passage of another twelve months may be noted; and yet no man has quite the same thoughts this evening that come with the coming of darkness on other nights. ~ Hamilton Wright Mabie

I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's. ~ Henry Moore

 One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things. ~John Burroughs
 

###

8 comments:

  1. That is a good list of resolutions. As for getting out of Debt, Suze Orman has some good plans for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started Dave Ramsey's thing last year. Mostly following it anyway. Online life requires credit cards, as do hotel reservations. BUt it really helped us get things under control & see where our money was going

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could make a similar list. But I won't because I'm lazy.

    Thanks for the link and don't beat yourself up about not reading my blog -- I haven't written anything worth clicking over for. I'll try better this year.

    Wait, that's a resolution, isn't it.

    Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I am laughing...getting out of debt without faking your own death, although brilliant, would negate the point of getting out of debt. But you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the linky-love... twice.

    (And, if you can't win with a 63 point opening, I'm not sure what I can tell you about your WwF resolution.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave up on beating SciFi Dad on Workd with Friends months ago.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love the Calvin and Hobbes. If I get around to making a list, I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you on almost all of these resolutions. Do Harry Potter movies count as grown-up movies?

    "Develop a get-out-of-debt plan that doesn't involve faking my own death." Ha, indeed. I feel you.

    ReplyDelete