30 September 2010

Light up my Room

I'm sitting alone in the dark of the pre-dawn hours: Crunching my numbers, stretching my dollars, exercising my patience.

The cold that creeps up from the hardwood floors has numbed my bare toes and prickled my skin. Or maybe it's the unnatural quiet of my sleeping house that inspires my chill.

But the dearth of daylight hours has driven me into the dark, where I'm buried under piles of paperwork; choking on never-ending lists and tasks and bills and chores; drowning under the weight of my own spinning thoughts.

If you sit alone in the dark long enough, you can start to forget what the light feels like.

But the sons will be up soon, dragging the dawn in their wake, bringing back my light.



Post Title: Light up my Room, BNL

5 comments:

  1. See how amazing you are?!

    That was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people find it helps to sleep with socks on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your quote about the librarians. I hate being up at that time of the night/morning, because I know I am going to pay for it at some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. Very evocative.

    ReplyDelete