24 September 2010

Achievement Unlocked

I don't care if it's "PC" or not, I like this. And not just because it features one of my favorite geek crushes.


Geek and Gamer Girls Song 

I guess there's been some "controversy" among the geek community about this video re: Geek cred, "real" geek girls, and the relative sexiness thereof. To which I offer a resounding: "Meh." It's entertainment, not a manifesto. Get over it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to playing Halo: Reach and Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. These achievements won't unlock themselves, ya know.

Still geeky after all these years,
Zen

4 comments:

  1. Bah. Sexy cosplay chicks. That's all.

    (also: I'm 99% sure one of them - the one dressed as Han Solo in parts - is from The Guild)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SFD: Geek Points for the good eye! That is the crazy neighbor girl from Season 2 of The Guild. LOVE that show.

    Bonus info: The one dressed a Lara Croft is married to Seth Green. (To quote Betty Boop: "*sigh* What lucky goil.")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on the upswing in females at the various Comic Cons I've visited, I'd say that Zen's onto something here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DGB: I have a theory on that.

    I think geek girls have been around for a while. But it's only recently that we feel "safe" enough to come play in the boys' sandbox.

    I know that when I was a teen, I learned pretty quickly that my particular pop culture tastes were very Not Cool with the girly-girl cliques who run high schools. And those bitches can be *vicious*. As Joss would say: High School is Hell.

    But, today, the culture has changed, it's much more accepted for girls geek out on things that boys have traditionally dominated. Ergo: More girls are coming out of the geek closet. And heading to Comicons.

    I think it helps that the GenXer geek girls are reaching a certain age and personal comfort zone.

    Personally, the older *I* get the less I could give a flying fig if random people think I'm "cool": I have breasts AND an action figure collection. Deal with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete