19 January 2009

"The torture of chalkdust collects on my tongue" or, How I spent my 3-day weekend

I have a small hole in my ankle, my legs feel like I've been running all weekend, and I can still taste the drywall dust in the air (or is it just coating my nasal passages?) ... but it was all worth it ...

This weekend, I took the kids to visit their grandparents and The Husband and I tore down a wall.

No, that's not some kind of new age metaphor. We literally tore down a wall in our house. Well, 3/4 of one, anyway.

*Insert Tim Allen grunting here*

Some background: Our house was built in 1950. We bought it "as is" a few years ago and it's needed plenty of work since day one. And that's fine with us. The Husband and I both love older houses. We would much rather live in a '50s - or earlier - fixer-upper than in any new construction. That's just our taste.

Fortunately, my handy husband knows his way around a tool box pretty well and my uber-handy Dad is always willing to lend a hand, too. (Seriously, my dad could build a whole house all by himself - just give him the time and tools.)

Me? I'm not exactly a DIY queen. But I'm not completely useless, either. So, I pitch in as the semi-skilled labor occasionally.

So, when our personal and perpetual "This Old House" needs a little TLC, we usually serve it up ourselves with a side of elbow grease.

We've completed a lot of projects, indoors and out, but, of course, there's always more to do.

THIS weekend, we did a relatively quick and easy and cheap job that, I think, makes a HUGE improvement.



I have wanted to knock down this wall ever since we moved in.

The living and dining areas are basically one long, connected room. This wall separated the kitchen from that room.

And, can I just tell you? This is a really well-built house! Damn, but that wall was sturdy. Seriously, earthquake, shmurthquake - this house ain't goin' nowhere!



We were coated in gypsum dust by the end of the demolition (as was everything else in the house not covered by a dropcloth), I have three large trashcans full of drywall, plaster and chicken wire, and there is a rather large pile of used 2x4s in my backyard.

We are not quite finished with, well, the finish work, so we'll have to work on it a bit more next weekend. But all of the hard stuff is done.

And it was worth it. I already LOVE the difference it makes! The small kitchen feels so much bigger. And the living and dining rooms feel bigger, too.

But the best part is that The Husband or I can be in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes or whatever AND still be part of family time with the kids in the living room.

I'm really happy with it.

Ta-daaaa! Whaddaya think?

7 comments:

  1. Oh man- we took down a wall in our old house. What a mess! I loved it afterwards, but man it was a much bigger job than we anticipated. There were lots of little mouse skeletons in there too- very creepy :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEE! I love it! It opens up the whole front area! You are so amazing! I love that you are always ready to tackle any job. Zen Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a job! Hope you had a little fun and BTW my hubby does the best Tim Allen -ughhoho thingy- gets me every time ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dropping by from sits. You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josiemy: I was hoping to find buried treasure inteh wall cavity. No such luck. Only spiderwebs.

    simplyme: Oh hush, you know you are no stranger to home-improvement via elbow grease. I seem to remember a deck and a playset that didn't exactly put themselves together! :D Let's just agree to be members of the mutual admiration society. :)

    Melissa: Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :) My brother does a great Tim Allen grunt, to! And thanks for spelling it out ... I was having a deuce of a time trying to figure out how to write that out. :)

    Ms. Cupcake: Thanks for the drop-in! I'll be sure to visit your blog today, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Stopping by from SITS - you guys did an awesome job! I love how it looks now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting via SITS - that wall removal makes a BIG difference - I like it!

    ReplyDelete