23 December 2008

Happy Holidays is not an insult

Happy Holidays.

Hey, wait! Don't throw that ornament at me! I meant that in a NICE way!

Sheesh. I've seen no less than half-a-dozen bloggers throw a fit over the use of "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

I really feel the need to point out that there are, indeed, more holidays than just Christmas that happen in December. In fact, there are at least seven that I'm aware of - probably more!

I've never been offended when someone said to me "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah", "Blessed Yule", "Namaste", or any other well-wish or greeting. I take them all in the spirit intended: A show of fellowship. A wish for happiness.

If you say "Merry Christmas" and I answer back "Happy Holidays", I promise you it's not intended to insult or offend. And it is certainly not a personal attack on you or your religion or your god, okay?

When I say "Happy Holidays", that is my way of being inclusive - of trying to wish everyone a good and happy season, whatever their beliefs or practices.

Clear?

Good.

Ok, now let's tackle this obsessive need to control the Christmas holiday.

Again, the blogosphere seems to be full of Christians who resent me on this subject. I try not to take it too personally, but ... seriously? C'mon, it's not like you own the patent.

I am agnostic. To clarify, that means, to me, that I do not know if there is a god. If there is, I've never found a religion that defines "god" in a way I would identify with. I explain this here to make the point that, for me, Christmas has nothing to do with religion of any kind.

I celebrate Christmas. I love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday.

But you won't find a manger scene in my yard or a "Jesus is the reason for the season" sign in my house. (In fact, you would be more likely to see "Axial tilt is the reason for the season" - because I have a weird sense of humor like that.)

Some of my friends and family do decorate with religious trappings. And that's perfectly fine with me. As is the menorah my co-worker puts up. And the Kwanzaa candles at a neighbor's house. And the yule log and branches at another. Whatever makes you happy.

I'm very sorry, my dear Christian friends and family, if the way I celebrate Christmas - the secular holiday - does not meet your standards of how you celebrate Christmas the religious holiday.

But, just because they share a name and date does not mean that we are or should be celebrating the same thing.

There are untold numbers of words and phrases and traditions in modern American culture that have their roots in ancient (and not-so-ancient) religions and cultures. To use one of them does not imply an endorsement of their original meaning.
The word "Christmas" denotes your religious holiday. But it also happens to be the name we use to identify the secular holiday.
So, you need to share.
There might be implied meaning behind the word "Christmas" for you that is just not there for others. But that doesn't make your meaning more valid than mine.
My using the word "Christmas" no more means that I embrace your theology any more than my using the word "Thursday" means that I worship the Roman pantheon.
It's about etymology, not theology.

It's not about "taking Christ out of Christmas". If Jesus is your reason for the season, no one can "take" that away from you.
Here is my proposal: You celebrate Christmas the way you want to and I will celebrate the way I want to.
Voila: World peace! :)

I hope your holidays bring you much joy during this season.
Peace.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I don't celebrate Xmas as such, but I do celebrate yule and the holiday season in general, and in my own way. I've used the phrase 'Happy Holidays' a lot recently, and quite frankly if it's offended anyone then tough!

    So, dear ZenMom, Happy Holidays to you and all the best for 2009 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully, said. I feel similarly, right down to the agnosticism (although I phrase it differently, saying, "I find it highly unlikely that there is a God, but I would not be surprised to learn I am wrong."

    Merry Christmas, to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you friend! No matter what you celebrate or why you celebrate it! Happy Axial Tilt Day...I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so love those Christianists who spread the peace and love of God by angrily responding to wishes of "Happy Holidays" with a vengeful sounding "Merry Christmas." I especially love it when they do so to hapless store clerks. Way to spread the joy, folks.

    Great post, by the way. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete