18 August 2008

A friend helps you move ...

... a real friend helps you move a body.
That's an old joke a few friends and I have been telling each other for years. But it still always makes me smile. Not because it's the world's greatest joke. But because saying it to each other carries the weight of years of shared memories.
It reminds me of all of the fun (and serious) and joyful (and painful) and kind (and angry) and supportive (and hurtful) feelings and experiences that you share when you've known someone for so many years.
Sometimes, when you meet someone, you feel an immediate connection, a kinship. And those are great and exciting moments. But the best friendships are the ones that are so old and comfortable and familiar that spending time together is like slipping on your favorite pair of old, worn jeans. It just fits. Just right.
Have you ever had one of those friends who - no matter how much time or space is between you - still fits so perfectly in your life and your heart that it's like they were made to be there? The kind you can go weeks, or months, without seeing in person ... but then you just roll right into the conversations as comfortably as if you had talked every day in between? The kind who just makes you feel like you are "home" whenever you are together?
The number of people I actually call "friend" is relatively small. I'm picky like that. :) But I feel very lucky to say that my best friends are of the "old, comfy jeans" variety. I got to spend the day with one of them - and her beautiful family - this weekend. We didn't really do anything "special" - but it was a special day, anyway. It was fun. It was relaxed. It was comfortable.
It was the kind of day that's good for your soul. The kind of day that reminds me never to take those few "comfy jeans" friends of mine for granted. They are precious. And I should remember to tell them so more often.
So here's to "comfy jeans" friends. You know who you are. :)

2 comments:

  1. Aw! I love you girlfriend! You tell me where the body is and I will bring a shovel! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always know I can count on you. :)

    "Call me if you need a ride ... or bail ... or an alibi." :)

    ReplyDelete