27 July 2011

The Naming of Cats

We've inherited a cat.

A kitten actually.

As she was something of an unexpected addition, were a bit at a loss at first for a proper name for our latest refugee.

Our other two cats are Mojo-Jojo - black-as-pitch with a hellish temper and an overdeveloped sense of her own importance, sometimes referred to a Basement Cat - and Mocha - a sweet Siamese mix with a tendency to shed and drool, also known as Ceiling Cat.

This latest feline refugee is something of an in-betweener: She's a sweet and somewhat fearless little ball of fluff - a gray tabby with little white boots to match the tip of her tail.

"Boots" seemed an obvious choice. But as she doesn't show any signs of talent for the long con, we decided against it.

The Professor's first choice was "Sneaky Ninja Kitty" after she affected a daring escape from her carrier right under our noses on her first night home and managed to stay hidden for almost an hour. But that was a bit of a mouthful.

Bam-Bam offered up "Bam-Bam" and "Mr. Potato Head" as possible monikers. But we convinced him that having more than one of each would just get confusing.

After a few more rounds of suggestions from the kids that would have had even Hollywood Moms doing spit-takes, I decided to pull out the big guns. And I sat down to read to the boys Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.

Then I had them sleep on all they'd learned about the Naming of Cats. The next day, they made their decision.

And so, I'm pleased to introduce you to Ms. Jennyanydots:




When the day's hustle and bustle is done, then the gumbie cat's work is but hardly begun,

Zen

5 comments:

  1. That's a mouthful too, but surprisingly it works.

    I would have gone with Toonces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sits and sits and sits and sits, and that's what makes a gumbie cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have stuck with Sneaky Ninja Kitty and called her "SNicK"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!!!!!!!!!

    Well done.

    I have 4 cats myself....each has their own personality and I wouldn't trade one of them. All rescues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the process of naming cats! We had one called Fritz when I was about 3 (which I told everyone "because that's what he ate when we first brought him home", however I later learnt there was a rather "adult" reason behind naming a Tom-Cat "Fritz The Cat"!) I also had one cat called Princess (who later became "kitty" when Princess was more of a prince!) and a stray I adopted a few years ago called "Mademoiselle Minerva Minou" (which translated to "Miss Minerva Kitty"). I also had a William and Gracie once ("Will and Grace"). Congrats on your new fluffy addition!

    ReplyDelete