15 July 2011

I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library

On a whim, I set a goal to read 60 books in 2011. Seemed a realistic, but satisfying number. And I'm pleased to report that, as of about the midway point, I'm ahead of schedule at 45.

Those playing the home version of Zen's Book Bingo, will find several of the "usual suspect" authors and series and genres on this (half) year's list.

One pleasantly surprising new-to-me author this year is Jim Butcher. People have been telling me for years that I'd like the stories of Harry Dresden, Wizard for Hire. But I just never got around to picking one up before. So glad I did: Part gritty hard-boiled detective, part urban fantasy, all fun.

I also really enjoyed Wil Wheaton's latest stories as well as Dark Horse Graphic Novels based on Firefly/Serenity and The Guild.

And I still totally want to lick Ilona Andrews' brain every time I read something new of hers (theirs) - they are just so deliciously fun!

But, hey, here's the whole list ... check it out ... 


2011 read (Jan-Jul)






goodreads.com



What have YOU been reading lately? I love book recommendations! In fact, if you're on GoodReads, or PaperBackSwap, pop over and "friend" me, so I can poke my nose into your reading list. ;)

Words, words, words,
Zen

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library."
~ Jorge Luis Borges

5 comments:

  1. Graphic novels about Firefly! How cool is that?

    I am currently reading 'The Art of Racing in the Rain'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn you read a lot!

    I've actually gotten better at reader more often, which was something I set out to do. I credit the Kindle app for my iPad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SeattleDad: They were really good, too! Very Whedon-esque. :) I thought The Art of Racing in the Rain looked very poignant.

    @Hubman: I LOVE the Kindle App on my iPad. Several of these books were read on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your list of books! There's quite a few I didn't even know existed - like the graphic novels of Serenity/Firefly. Must have!!

    I just finished re-reading "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul" (Douglas Adams). I also recently read "Citizen Vince" (Jess Walter) and "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (Garth Stein - which dh SeattleDad is now reading). Next on my list is "Cloudspitter" (Russell Banks), but I'm always looking for a good read, so thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, I am a fast reader who goes through books slowly. It's been taking me over a month to get through Hunger Games trilogy.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete