29 June 2011

Where I'm From

I am from science fiction stories and Saturday morning cartoons.

I am from summers that melt and winters that drizzle.

I am from acres of farmland, spring fruit blossoms and fall harvests.

I am from laughing voices raised over classic rock radio in crowded kitchens with kids and pets underfoot; from hand-me-downs and potlucks; camping and fishing; climbing trees and running around barefoot.

I am from mom's patience, dad's temper, brother's humor.

I am from fierceness and freckles.

I am from more-the-merrier and anything-for-family and own-your-choices.

I am from logic and reason, from compassion and kindness, and from just doing the laundry.

I am from the Emerald Isle and the Dust Bowl, pan-fried chicken and homemade biscuits.

I am from hallways lined with photo collages, doorways climbed by faded pencil marks, concrete impregnated with tiny hand prints, cedar chests filled with handmade quilts.

I am from simple homes and strong roots. From extended families and generational gatherings. From births and deaths, celebration and mourning, love and loss - all made better by the sharing. 


Inspired by: Where I'm From and SFD and TwoBusy.

Zen

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed all of this, but the second-to-last section in particular... for me, at least, that description felt wonderfully tactile and sensory-rich. Terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TwoBusy: Thank you. I was moved by yours, as well. Which I meant to link to in my post, but forgot. Off to correct that now. :)

    @ SFD: Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your poem. Love your blog. I have just become your follower number 101!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best thing you've written maybe ever!

    Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was excellent. I read it in my reader just after Two Busy's. Nice stuff. Dare I try my own?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey OneZenMom! I finally got around to trying it myself. It was a very fun exercise, although I didn't manage to make mine as succinct or beautiful as you did. Oh well. Ommmmmm. :-) Thanks for the inspiration. I linked back to your poem on my post. Hope that's ok.
    Love, Om in Mom x

    ReplyDelete