21 June 2011

Better than therapy: Letters I'll never send

Dear Dental Office:

I know I'm OCD, but it's annoying that you force me to confirm my appointment by phone the day before. Um, it's an APPOINTMENT. By DEFINITION, we have both agreed to be there at the appointed time and place. If I can't make it for some reason, I will call and tell you. Because that's what responsible adults DO. Don't make me call just to tell you that I'm NOT breaking the appointment. It's a waste of my time and kind of insulting.

Chronically punctual,
Zen

###

Dear McDonald's:

"Sweet" should not be the default for iced tea. Sugar or sweetener should be an option, not a standard ingredient. But, even if I accept the fact that you make me specify that I DON'T want you to add extra stuff to my drink ... when I clearly and repeatedly make that distinction and you STILL give me sweet tea, it makes me kinda stabby.

Never been accused of being sweet,
Zen

###

Dear Undergarment Industry:

Is a DD-cup sports bra that actually supports without suffocating REALLY so difficult? Really?! I mean, the world is full of engineering marvels, but comfortable full-figured underwear is beyond the reach of modern science? All I want is to be able to run and jump and throw some kicks and punches without giving myself black eyes or cinching myself into a whalebone corset. Is that really too much to ask?

And as long as we're on the subject, can you please 'splain to me why >D sizes cost so much more than A-C? It's - what? - an extra 6 inches of fabric and underwire? I suspect your overhead is not so adversely affected that I should really have to pay half-again to twice as much as the less-endowed ladies. But, if you ARE going to overcharge me, could you at least make the a few more of the pretty ones in full-figure sizes, too? The C cups get a lovely variety of colors and patterns and fabrics to pick from, and the curvy girls get to choose between the exotic options of "white" and "nude" in cotton or polyester? Seriously, bra dudes, not cool.

Desperately Seeking Support Garments,
Zen

###

Dear "Gentlemen" standing around outside the store:

There's a difference between an appreciative glance and a predatory stare. The first might get you a smile. The second is likely to get you a sidekick to the knee if you step any closer.

Just sayin',
Zen

###

Dear iPad auto-correct:

If you don't stop changing "onezenmom" to "obese mom", Ima sit on you.

Just fluffy,
Zen

###

Dear Gods of Potty Training:

Please just tell me what animal you need me to sacrifice to get my now-4-year-old to learn to love the potty. Pleeeeeeeeaaaaassssssee?!?!?! We're going on 7 years of diapers and Pull-Ups and I'm just about at my limit here. I've tried every method and tip and trick in the book, and even made up a few more - no joy.

Ready for some divine intervention,
Zen

22 comments:

  1. For the bra issue - try Title 9. The potty training? good luck - tried bribery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got some fantastic DD bras at Lane Bryant, not smothery at all!

    As for the potty training, can't help, almost 9 years between the two kids, and we aren't quite 100% with Jack-Jack yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bribed one child with cash and the other with M&M's.

    And Underarmour makes a bra so firm that I think that an earthquake would not move your boobies in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely with you on the first two and the last one. (Had a similar conversation on the phone with my DDS a few months ago.)
    And, as someone with no direct experience, smiled appropriately at the undergarment/creepy guys/potty training commentary.
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the potty training. Bribing with Pez candies worked for me... they are now known as potty treats in our house. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome :-) It's nice to see a post from you again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the bra-shopping recommendations, ladies. Checking them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We now have a 4 year old too, mostly potty trained but pull ups at night and had selective memory with the #1.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a fabulous idea, "Letters I'll never send". Hmmmm, got me to thinkin', I just created my very first blog page today, yes LITERALLY today! I have been unsure how to begin, so, at the moment, it retains only remnants of personal information and awaits my epiphany so that it may receive it's first blog. However, I believe you know me well enough to know that I am quiet around those I do not know, yet, once I am comfortable, I will not shut up. I believe my blog spot will be quite similar. It's just the getting started part that has had me stumped. But, you have inspired me! Did you know I love your blog, and want to comment so badly on each one, however, each time I write a sentence, I have a slight pang of anxiety? Yes, because of you, but I mean this in the most admirable, loving way. Such as...will she be thinking I just wrote a run-on sentence? Did I just put a comma in the wrong place? Did I place the three ..., that make her crazy?(Agh, I did!) Did I misspell a word? Did I just misspell the word misspell? Alas, it is true, I greatly admire your wisdom and wit in the writing, editing and publishing arena of life. Actually there are an abundance of qualities I admire in you. You are a phenomenal mom, an extremely hard working employee, very intelligent, and simply beautiful inside and OUT! I would like to believe that I have a smidgen of your writing abilities that was simply inherited genetically, as I know mine would not be from what I learned in high school and/or college. Oh, the point, I guess I should get to the point of the comment. I really enjoyed this post. I needed to laugh and smile and you definitely did that, thank you. BTW, Another Suburban Mom's profile picture kinda freaks me out because it looks exactly like you and please tell Hubman to post more often as his profile picture is quite enjoyable. ;0) Take care my love and hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your iPad letter is my fave. I also have troubles with iPad auto correct, but with less hilarious results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the letter for me... first time here and I enjoy reading your blogs.Count me in to sticking with you..keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely with you on the first two and the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your iPad letter is Awesome!Very interesting topic will bookmark your site to check if you write more about in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s very interesting and clear. I found you in google and I’ll for sure come back to check for new fresh posts. Keep blogging like this, if more people shared this kind of great information, the net would be much better.
    I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this! You are bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The great article assisted me a lot! Bookmarked your site, very excellent topics just about everywhere that I read here! I appreciate the information, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I wish to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and under no circumstances appear to get something done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very nice article I love reading this post this is very informative one. I love to read more of this in the future. Thank you for sharing this to us.

    ReplyDelete