11 January 2010

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

*** Soapbox Alert ***

I don't talk about politics much on this blog. I'd guess that anyone who's been reading a while can figure out that I tend towards more of a liberal bent. But I don't usually feel the need to shout my political opinions to the masses.

So, I don't pull out the old soapbox very often. And you can bet that when I do, it's a topic that I'm passionate about.

If there's one "political" topic that really gets my blood boiling, it's same sex marriage. It stands out as one of the most important topics of our time because it's not about "politics" - it's about upholding one of the most fundamental principles of our government: The ideal that every person is equal under the law.

Today, the Federal Courts will hear an appeal about California's recent Prop 8, which created a legal double-standard in our constitution - one set of rules for homosexuals and one set of rules for heterosexuals.

(It actually also created a third legal class: Homosexuals with marriage rights grandfathered in because of the brief amount of time they were "legal". Hello, Alice. Welcome to the rabbit hole.)

The outcome of this historic federal case will obviously have far-reaching effects, establishing a precedent for whether or not federal Constitutional rights "outrank" state legislation to the contrary.

California has a reputation for leading the socially liberal charge. But, as I've mentioned before, our state is actually deeply divided on many such issues. The Coastal and urban Southern parts of the state do tend to be very liberal. But the Central and Northern parts of the state - especially the more rural agricultural areas - are as conservative as the rest of the bread basket states.

I have never been so hyper-aware of the fact that I am a speck of blue in a sea of red until the political campaigns surrounding Prop 8 started hitting the streets. My "No on 8" yard sign felt like a sad and lonely little flag of defiance.

But I didn't give up hope. I had naive faith that right would prevail. I simply could not believe that our system could fail so catastrophically that a situation could be created in which citizens could strip rights from other citizens with no overwhelming cause. It was too Orwellian to be true.

And then Prop 8 passed.

And I thought, well, it will be overturned on appeal. That's why we have checks and balances built into our governance - to catch these abuses of power and right these wrongs. Surely it cannot be "legal" to uphold such a clear "separate but equal" end-run around equal rights?

And then Prop 8 was upheld.

Today, I want to have faith that reasonable people taking a unbiased look at the facts will have no choice but to conclude that Prop 8 is a clear violation of the legal - the inalienable - rights granted by our federal constitution that all citizens are equal under that law.

The rights set forth in our Constitution seem so simple; we sometimes take them for granted now. But, for our founding fathers, it was a paradigm-changing philosophy that set their fledgling constitutional republic apart as a nation of new ideals.

We have, as a nation, not always lived up to those ideals of equality. But we've been moving the right direction - slowly but surely - throughout our history. Socially, each generation has learned to be just a little more compassionate and tolerant than the last. Legally, the precedents over the last 200 years have been building a ladder toward that high-minded ideal set forth by our founding fathers so long ago.

And today, the Courts will hear a case that could throw us back down to the bottom rung.

I have to believe that the Justices in this case will see this equal rights setback for what it is.

I'm holding onto that hope. Because the alternative is too frustrating and frightening to consider.

Because if the "majority" of voters can decide that a whole class of people can be denied equal treatment under the law - in any form - then who or what will be on the chopping block next?


They first came for the communists, 
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the Jews, 
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, 
I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak up. 



[Post title: Animal Farm by George Orwell]
 

  

13 comments:

  1. amen (that's only half tongue in cheek!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I completely agree with you. I hope this makes everyone who is eligible to vote get out and vote. Unfortunately, a good many people who voted for Obama, didn't really think gay rights were, well, right. And, a good many people who believed in Prop 8 may have felt the election was over by the time it got to CA, so why should they leave work or home when the election was pretty much decided. It would make me really sad to believe that the actual number of people who are against gay marriage is greater than the number for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too agree, as I said back in the linked posts. I don't understand how an unconstitutional law can be passed in the US. I mean, gun control gets called as a constitutional issue, but gay marriage doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't figure out what happened to your weblog on my reader, but I found you again via twitter, and I'm glad. The whole anti-gay legal thing disturbs me not just for itself but because I worry where it may lead. If we can still discriminate so openly and legally against people in this day and age, what will happen next? No marriage for physically disabled people? It's along the same lines. (I don't mean gay people are physically disabled, but its been proven it is a genetically based issue.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually tend to be fairly conversation when it comes to certain political issues, but I don't understand the big fuss over gay marriage. People should be able to choose the life partner they want and be given the same legal rights regardless of gender.

    For me, it just comes down to basis fairness. If you don't "believe" in it (whatever that means), don't do it, but stop pushing your beliefs on everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post--I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen!

    I got into many a fight with a few people over this issue. Their religion is clouding their vision, which is tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like ZenMom on a soapbox!

    Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since it seems that almost everyone over thirty that I know has been divorced at least once I think maybe the whole concept of marriage should be given up on by straight people. Gay marriage should be legal, maybe they will have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm delurking. I completely agree with you on the same sex marriage issue, as well as the clear need for delurking AND I nearly freaked when I read your music list at the bottom of the site. We have exactly overlapping playlists which, I must say, is just an eency-teency bit weird. Isn't it? It isn't the most standard list of songs. I mean, where's Lady Gaga? So, if you're interested, check out my blogs at www.insidethekaganoffkitchen.com (yes, the zillionth food blog) and www.thenotquitedailydispatch.com (the not-quite zillionth humorous family travel blog).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said, Zen Mom. I was really disappointed in California with Prop 8. It's just another reason that I'm fed up with my homeland in general!

    ReplyDelete