24 November 2008

Imagination Movers rock

Reach High!
Think Big!
Work Hard!

Have Fun!

The Imagination Movers rock!

Longtime readers (*snort*) will recall my past exultation of The Backyardigans as a great show for preschoolers. And it is: Music, dance, imaginative play - My boys and I spent many a morning dancing around the living room to that show.

But the love a four-year-old is fickle.

Minon #1 has a new obsession: The Imagination Movers on Playhouse Disney. And Mommy doesn't mind at all that he and his 18-month-old brother want to watch this show. Every. Single. Day.

No, really. Because I like it just as much as the kids do. Seriously, these guys are awesome.

The Movers - Rich, Scott, Dave and Smitty - are four "regular" guys from New Orleans who started recording and performing their own kids tunes and quickly became a local phenom.

Three of the Movers are Dads themselves and only one of them has a "professional" music background. The others have varied backgrounds: Award-winning teacher, architect, firefighter.

Their music has been called "Beastie Boys meets Mr. Rogers" and I'd say that's not a bad description. Their sound is actually pretty eclectic: A little rock, a little pop, a little funk, a little country ... and a lot of fun.

The tunes are so catchy that Minion#1 dances around the living room singing his favorites even when the TV is not on. And the messages of the songs and the show are spot-on for preschoolers.

The Mover Motto: "Reach High! Thing Big! Work Hard! Have Fun!" has become our family mantra for "brainstorming". Just say those words to my boys and watch them grin and start to dance.

If you have a preschooler and, for some strange reason you have NOT seen this fun and educational show, do yourself a favor: Crawl out from under your rock and check it out.

So ... what is YOUR favorite kids show?

7 comments:

  1. I just wrote a post about how great Imagination Movers were too! We LOVE them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just caught this show while visiting my parents this weekend. (It's on Playhouse Disney Canada up here, and that channel, for some unknown reason, isn't carried by our local cable company.)

    My daughter loved it, and while I found the guys a little cheesy (admittedly I think a lot of the adults that do kids shows are cheesy) it was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, now not only do I feel old, but I feel like my kids are old. I've never heard of that show! My favorite is "Wonder Pets". Even though my kids are older now, sometimes we still all watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lazytown because haven't you imagined Sportacus as, let's say, an afternoon diversion?

    Nice blog. We have Marinka in common, and who doesn't at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sppoky: I wonder what is says about me (or them?) that I kept listening to the Imagination Movers music in my car this morning AFTER I dropped off the kids?

    SciFiDad: If you get the chance, give the show another chance. Those goofy guys really grow on you. I didn't like Steve the first time I watched Blues Clues. But I quickly came to appreciate him. (Joe still sucks, though.)

    Marinka: We watch WonderPets sometimes, too. Actually, my husband really likes that one for some reason. And we've both been know say "Thith ith thewious" at a opportune moments. :)

    Comedy Goddes: Sportacus. Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nuh uh! DORKS! Everyone of them ;) Actually my boys aren't really in to them either, we're all about Yo Gabba Gabba.

    Yooo Gabba Gabbaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love the Imagination Movers! I actually worked with them on a Bloggy Video Contest! They have been great... we interviewed them, they did a live giveaway for us and are picking a winner for the video contest right now! They want to do the video contest again next year! It was a BLAST! The people who work at the imagination Movers studio are awesome as is their publicist at Disney!
    Watch for MUCH MORE to come from them soon!!! I have been invited to the set when the start filming again for a sit down interview!!! (I live near New Orleans were they do all of their filming!)and they are on tour right now so check their Facebook page for towns and dates!

    ReplyDelete