03 November 2008

Celebrate

There was a "No on Prop 8" Rally in my town yesterday.

Yay! Just the idea makes me feel not-so-alone in my opposition to this attempted ban on Same Sex Marriage.

But, I couldn't attend. My children are too young to be trusted anywhere near a busy street corner unless they are being firmly held - or are tied to a lamp post. The first is not really an option for the squirmy mass of limbs that is my escape-artist 17-month-old. And people tend to frown on trussed-up 4-year-olds in public for some reason. Go figure.

So, I did not participate. But I did make it a point to drive by and honk and wave and give a "thumbs up" to those brave folks out there on the street corners with their homemade signs.

And, trust me, it IS a brave thing to do in this town. As I have mentioned before, we are little specks of Liberal Blue awash in a sea of Conservative Red here in California's Central Valley. My thumb was not the only finger being waved from a passing car.

So, we drove by a couple of times to show our support.

And my 4-year-old was fascinated by the joyful cheering and waving from the street corners as we honked and waved.

"Mommy, they are celebrating us," he said in a happy, awed tone.

"Yes, big boy, they are."

"But why are they celebrating us?" This as he waved frantically from his car seat at anyone he could see.

"I guess because we are celebrating them," I replied.

No hesitation: "Yeah, cuz everybody wants to be celebrated. It's nice. It makes you happy."

Yeah.

Everybody wants to be celebrated. Everybody wants to be happy. Everybody wants to love and be loved.


Life, Liberty, the Pursuit of Happiness: Self-evident. Unalienable.

Equality. Compassion. Love. Celebration.

Without these, where would we be?


My 4-year-old gets it.

Why don't the h8ers?

My husband and I voted NO on Prop 8.

4 comments:

  1. You know I love ya...but boy do we not see eye to eye on stuff lol. It's cool how people from opposite viewpoints can still enjoy each other! I guess that's what makes a country full of freedoms great! I've lived under this law here in Massachusetts...so I know about all the things that come with it. It seems so simple on the surface...I was like "sure hey why not" until you see what comes along for the ride. Do you realize here they are trying to say that the Bible is now "hate speech" and they want the pages that talk about homosexuality as an abomination to be removed! hmmm freedom of speech? They are now forcing Christian based adoption agencies to go against their own believes and make them allow adoptions to same sex couples. Even though this goes against their doctorine. They are trying to take "tax exempt status" away from Christian churches here who do not embrace homosexuality. They are saying any religious leader who talks about this subject in a negative way is guilty of "hate speech". They are forcing the kids in elementary school to be taught the beauty of same sex marriage...and parents who oppose are not being informed our allowed to opt out on this day. Again...where is the freedom in that? I appreciate your passion and how you stand up for your beliefs. I really do admire anyone who takes a stand on what they think is right. I just had to make others aware of the stuff that comes along with this. It just isn't as simple as it seems. I wish everything in politics was what it appears to be on the surface...and I mean that about BOTH sides of the fence! Have a great day. And continue to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES....I didn't realize how long that was...sheeesh go ahead and delete it if ya want...I won't feel bad lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I wouldn't delete it. I love comments - even if I don't agree with them. I think polite discourse on controversial issues is one of the things that makes our country great.

    The massachusetts law is different than what is going in California. I know, because I've done a lot of reading on it.

    The California Prop 8 advocates have used the Mass. experience as an "example" of the terrible things that will happen if Prop 8 doesn't pass. But, the thing is, Prop 8 is not the issue.

    Cali already has had non-discrimination laws on the books re: sexual orientation AND domestic partnership laws. We also have have different rules in our state ed code supporting parent's rights re: sex and family life education.

    Prop 8 doesn't change any of those either way.

    Is it possible that those types of things COULD happen here? Maybe. But it won't be Prop. 8 that causes them.

    And I would be the first to stand up against government interfereing in the business of religion.

    I am a firm advocate of the seperation of church and state - which is one of the reasons I oppose Prop 8.

    But ... I do appreciate that you have a different perspective. And that you were polite about it.

    I've had a some not-so-nice feedback on this subject in other arenas. So, thanks for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful; thank you for it. And thank you for voting no. We didn't win, but it still means the world.

    ReplyDelete