20 October 2008

I know it's here somewhere

I seem to have misplaced my Calm.

I know it must be around here somewhere. I mean, I just had it a bit ago.

I know I had it this morning when my four-year-old threw up in his bed. And I'm sure I still had it when I could not find the one-year-old's shoes. I think it was still there when the zipper broke on the baby's brand-new jacket.

I remember clinging to it desperately when the four-year-old threw a tantrum for no particular reason, causing the one-year-old to follow suit as I was trying to get them both in the car. But by the time I had gotten to the sitters' house and realized I'd forgotten their day bag, it was well-and-truly gone.

I know if I could just set aside this pile of little frustrations, I would find my Calm underneath them all.

So I need to wash bedsheets tonight ... so I was a little late to work ... so the kids went an hour without their bag ... so what?

I have two beautiful, healthy children ... I have a wonderful babysitter who loves them like they were family ... I have a loving and helpful husband who doesn't sweat the small stuff ... I have a kind and understanding boss who realizes that some mornings are just out of control.

The four-year-old is not sick. The one-year-old is warm. The shoes will be found. The Husband delivered the bag to the sitter.

Everyone is where they need to be and doing what they need to do. The world is an amazing place. This day is an amazing gift. All is right with the world.

Ahhh, there it is. That Calm wasn't so hard to find, after all. And it's brought a Lesson back with it:

I must work on growing my Calm, if I want to keep from misplacing it again.

After all, my Calm must be too small, if I was able to lose it among such little things this morning.

"Calm in quietude is not real calm.When you can be calm in the midst of activity,
this is the true state of nature.


Happiness in comfort is not real happiness.
When you can be happy in the midst of hardship,
then you see the true potential of the mind."

~ Huanchu Daoren

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. I love your first post, I am sometimes to calm. Freaks my husband out. It freaks me out too, like when everone is spazing because the 65 lb, Ding is vomiting across the deck. I am calmly walking to get the hose.

    Well of coarse there is so much positive to that. I mean, it's not in the house, it won't take up any paper towels because you just need a hose, and the dog is fine.

    Why waste the energy freaking out. Just breathe... now if I could always remember that...

    Great post, I will come back! Welcome to SITStahood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT was a brilliant post! If you could bottle that wisdom you would be a GAZILLIONAIRE...and the world would be a better place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Yessss..... As the mother figure always said, "Breathe Darling. It is, after all, only temporary. We must be Zen." She said this because the mother figure knows these things from experience, she does. Her calm is now huge and you are definitely getting there. Large Grin! BIG HUG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I practice to be the Zen Mom ...but MY mom is the Zen MASTER. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. Loved the poem.
    Are you a Friends fan? If so, you will udnerstand when I say, "ah - unagi."

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! It reminds me what matters! You rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved this. And it's just what I needed to hear right now! My calm is buried under my crap (of all sorts) but I know I can dig it out... ;^)

    Thanks for this...

    ~ Anna

    ReplyDelete