14 October 2008

The Lies of Locke Lamora




I read for a lot of reasons - to stretch my mind, to enhance my mind, to change my mind, to calm my mind. But, sometimes, I just like to read to entertain my mind ...

Yep, my dirty little literati secret: I love "brain candy" ... books with no redemptive value beyond the pleasure of the moment.

Since Minion #2 was born just over a year ago, that's been the main fare around here on the literature front. I don't have the time or energy for the meatier tomes.

Nietzsche-Schmietzsche ... just give me a few minutes a few nights a week with something light and fluffy - science fiction and fantasy being my favorite flavor - and I'm happy enough.

My "to read" pile has gotten very tall indeed as most of my literary meat and potatoes - and even the more exciting steak and lobster - have been pushed to the bottom to make room for the cotton candy and bubble gum.

I thought I was choosing more of the same when I recently picked up The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

But I was only half-right.

It was candy, all right ... but it wasn't bubble gum, or even a chewy nougat-y treat.

No, it was more like an exotic truffle - one that hits you upside the tastebuds with a rich and complex flavor and texture. Mmmmm. Not exactly nourishing ... but extremely satisfying, none-the-less.

I enjoyed it so much that I immediately ordered the sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies and devoured that as quickly as the first. Now I have to wait until 2009 for the third course. And I find myself awaiting that as eagerly as ... well ... dessert.

I won't give away any spoilers - because I hate it when people do that - but I will say that it was a great story, with interesting characters, nice pacing, fun twists, skillful foreshadowing, and a riveting attention to "background" detail in a uniquely imagined - but still believable - world that was simultaneously alien and familiar.

It's a little bit Fafhrd-and-the-grey-mouser-meets-Ocean's-Eleven ... with a side of Oliver Twist and a dash of Renaissance Italy. And it's a good mix. It left me satisfied with a well-told tale ... but still wanting more of these characters and their lives. That's not a bad for a first-time author. Bravo.

Was it Chaucer or Dickens or Twain? Nah. But it was yummy anyway. You should try it.

What are you still doing here?

Go. Read it. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Zenmom! Your blog rocks! Calm and literate and clever and...please move to Santa Monica so we can hang out at Peet's! I'm SO bookmarking you...

    Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower...that means a lot to me.

    Have a smooth day and I look forward to reading more of your posts...

    :^) Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm...you have me interested! I've noted this on my "list" and will try to pick up soon!

    Welcome to SITS!! I am off to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Locke Lamora, eh? OK, adding it to my TBR list now. So glad you had fun with the SITS blogathon! And I see you've already made friends with Anna Lefler - she's one of my new favorite best blog friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followed you over from your comment at SITS. How could I not with a name like Zenmom? Have you seen the website "goodreads.com?" My college age daughter just got me to join.

    Thanks for the book suggestion. I like your blog and I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete