03 September 2008

One Thing At A Time

The relative relaxation of summer is gone and I am again up to my eyeballs in publication deadlines, information requests, press releases, web updates, event planning, writing, copy editing, staff training, and the million others things that ebb and flow across my desk every day.

Some days it feels like it's all I can do to just keep my head above the waves. It's easy to start to feel overwhelmed by all the things I need to do right now.

That's when I know I need to stop. Take a breath. Focus. And do

One.
Thing.
At.
A.
Time.

I was reading/watching the other day some really interesting research about the myth of multi-tasking. Turns out, Human brains don't multi-task. They just mono-task back and forth very quickly, which is actually less efficient and more stressful then just doing ...

One.
Thing.
At.
A.
Time.

It is quite fitting that I found the link to this very interesting information about multi-tasking and the human brain on the Momma Zen blog by author Karen Maezen Miller.

Because a Buddhist priest really is the first person who would tell you that One. Thing. At. A. Time. is the only way to do anything.

I wish I had time to write more about all of this, but I have to go back to work and do about 17 things - One At A Time - before the end of the day. So, you will have to read/watch it and other fascinating facts about the human brain for yourself at Brain Rules.

1 comment:

  1. There's only one thing for me to do with this: :)

    ReplyDelete