19 September 2008

Arrr, Matey

Didja know?

September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

The Husband has been practicing all week ... shiver me this and heave-ho that and lots of threats of keel-haulin' and demands for booty and grog. (Okay, that last part is not so unusual.)

Son#1 has been getting into the spirit of the holiday by watching the Backyardigans' Pirate episodes and practicing his "Aaaaarrrrrs" while wielding his sword with "pirattitude" and pretending to be Jack Sparrow. (Yes, I let my four-year-old watch Pirates of the Carribean - get over it.)

Son #2 likes a little swordplay as much as the next 15-month old, but his personal preference is sailing his pirate ship around room.

Me? I'm doing my part to promote this under-rated holiday through my tiny little corner of the blogosphere.

So ... heave-to ya land-lubbing scallywags! Gather up yer spyglass and cutlass, brush up on yer pirate palaver and have some fun. :)

And now, for your sing-along pleasure:

YO HO (A PIRATE'S LIFE FOR ME)
Lyrics by Xavier Atencio and music by George Bruns

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot,
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We extort, we pilfer, we filch, and sack,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
Maraud and embezzle, and even high-jack,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We kindle and char, inflame and ignite,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
We burn up the city, we're really a fright,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.

We're rascals, scoundrels, villans, and knaves,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We're beggars and blighters, ne'er-do-well cads,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.

1 comment:

  1. Scurvy Dogs!

    I gotta run the Jolly Roger up yonder pole!

    Arg! I had me no idea it was being Pirate Speaking Day! What a sorry landlubber I have become.

    I must tell me little mateys!

    ReplyDelete