23 April 2010

Is that an Allen wrench in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

"I have two boxes of leftover tile."

I looked up from my laptop and peered over my glasses at my husband.

"Aaaand ... " I prompted.

"I was thinking I would just go ahead and tile the floor in the kids' bathroom."

I cocked my head to the side. "Hmmmm ... Okay, sure."


And so it began.

For much the same reason you should not give a Moose a Muffin, you should not give my husband a "little" DIY home improvement task.

Because, if you ask him to lay tile, he will need to tear out the old floor.
And if he tears out the old floor, he might as well remove the old sink and countertop.
And if he takes out the vanity, he really should replace that old shower.
And it the shower is going, well, we really should extend the tile from the floors to half-way up the wall.
And paint.
And get new curtains.
And buy all new fixtures and furniture and finials and ...

Four months, three home improvement stores, two visits to Ikea, and one special order later ...


We have a lovely new kids/guest bathroom.

For the record, *I* built most of the furniture. (I am the Ikea queen - have Allen Wrench, will travel. Or something like that.)

If anyone needs me, the Queen will be on her throne,
Zen

13 comments:

  1. my wife is an Ikea whore...me, I can barely unclog a toilet. Much respect for your man and LOVE bringing in the ole Give a Moose a Muffin... Well done my dear...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Moose Muffin story. Read it to my first graders all the time.

    I'm surprised it only took 3 home improvement stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty handy around the house, but I'm never attempted tile- I'd probably mess it up! Good for you two, tackling that project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll remember you are for hire when we move and I need to put Ikea furniture together since I've never even shopped at Ikea!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ikea is the debbil, Bobby Boucher!! They has the foozball and ebbything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids = so useful for hard-to-reach plumbing jobs, or so I imagine.

    Allen wrench = so zen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww he actually finished too--he's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What will you prefer when the heating and cooling needs are high ! Use the latest Geothermal Heat Pumps !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um...It's actually bigger than an allen wrench, but I am happy to see you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done. Was that to the tone of If you give a mouse a cookie?

    Anyway, I have a gazillion of those little Ikea wrenches laying around. We are the west coast champions. We will meet you in the national finals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm assuming the "complaint" is entirely tongue in cheek as many women would complain that hubby never refinishes the bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I try to take on a DIY task, I end up making things worse or discovering halfway through that I lack the skills to finish.

    Though I am an expert at putting together Ikea furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilarious and so true on the home improvement stuff.

    Love the bathroom, Queenie.

    ReplyDelete