29 April 2008

Noggin

It started one day when my son was about 2. I was pregnant with his little brother and not feeling great that day, so we were sitting on the couch watching "Finding Nemo" and playing with some toys.

There is a part in the move when "Crush" the sea turtle and his little son, "Squirt" give each other a head-butt and announce "Noggin, Dude!"

So, my son comes over and puts his forehead against mine and says, "Noggin, Mommy."

And a family tradition is born.

Now, whenever I tuck him in at night, or drop him off at the sitters or even just leave to go to the store, we hug and we kiss and then we gently touch foreheads and look into each other's eyes and whisper "Noggin".

It's such a silly little thing, I know. But it's sweet, and it's ours. And it's made all the more sweet because I know it won't last forever.

He's almost 4 now. And, though his baby brother is now learning the family "noggin" tradition along with how to walk and talk, I know it won't be long before they tell me that "noggin" is silly and they don't want to do it anymore.

I think that's going to be a hard day for mommy.

So, today and everyday until then, I am going to enjoy that special, silly little moment with my boys that just belongs to us.

1 comment:

  1. I know you wrote this forever ago, but that is the cutest thing I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete