19 May 2011

Zen's Brain on Drugs: The Rapture Edition!

I'm on cold meds. I hardly ever take cold meds - or, really, almost any kind of meds besides OTC pain relievers. Because they make me all loopy - like light-headed and silly and kinda philosophical and babbly. (Think college freshman after three shots of Tequila.)

On the rare occassions when I DO take meds, I try not operate any heavy machinery - including my blog. Cuz when I do, it usually results in things like this. (Warning, that link is not for the faint of heart.)

But, I've been neglecting the old blog lately, so, I figure a meds-induced babble-fest is better than nothing, right? Hmm. We'll see.

So, compliments of ample parts pseudoephedrine, brompheniramine maleate, dextromethorphan hydrobromide, phenylephrine hydrocholride and probably some other things I can't pronounce - I bring you:

It's the End of the World as we Know It ... Again

Apparently there are people - as in plural ... as in more than one ... as in several, even* - who actually believe they are going to be physically transported to Heaven this Saturday.

Seriously? No. Really. Seriously?!?!

I've been vacillating between "so stupid it's not even worth mentioning" and "What the Flagnar?!" on this all week.

Because, on the one hand, it's too ridiculous to even be worth talking about, right? But, on the other, it kind of makes me LOL - especially when I read things like this:
Christopher Moore: "Hey, the rapture falls on a Saturday! How cool is that. I guess I won't be driving. Not early in the day, anyway. Later in the day, I will probably be driving a really nice car with some fish bumper stickers and shit on it. Give a little time to scrape them off."
But, on another hand (Shut up, I might have three hands. You don't know. I told you I'm on drugs!) ... it also makes me kinda sad. That people are that ... I dunno, desperate, deluded, divorced from reality? ... that they seriously believe not only that their god is going to beam them up to heaven a la Star Trek, but that some random radio personality from Oakland has "cracked the code" (like their god is some kind of hobby cryptographer fucking around with his lab rats by planting random clues about the location of their cheese) and can tell them exactly when it's going to happen. Again. Because, you know, he got it wrong the first time - as did, well, everyone who has ever predicted the end of the world. But, hey, that was a just a math error - could happen to anyone! But this time, he's sure.

Okay, I'm back to "What the Flagnar?!" again.

But I have to seriously wonder: What does a True Believer do on the day after the last day, when the world just keeps on keepin' on? I have to admin, that thought kinda scares me.

See you Sunday,
Zen

* You know what the best part of this particular lil' rant is? If I'm wrong, the people who would could say "I told you so" won't be around to do so.

5 comments:

  1. I'm TOTALLY looking forward to the rapture, cuz then the "Christian" girls who are left behind are the ones I know like to f%&!, so I'll hit on them (instead of guessing like I usually do).

    I know lots of folks are planning on looting People's Church on Sunday, so there's that.

    But I'm confident that, when Jesus comes back, he'll take just a moment of his very busy rapture day to swing by your hedonistic house and touch your sinus cavities (oooo, dirty!?) and heal you from all pain (but not sin).

    After it's all done, it'll just be all the gay people and the non-believers left here in our own little heaven-on-earth.

    And in a FABULOUS twist of fate, the word verification I have to type in is (I'm not making this up) "DEMON!"

    Haahhh!

    PS--more blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all a ruse so you don't have to lose at WwF again, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me? I'm kinda hoping for the rapture, cause I'm sure not going up and I'm going to be flying that day and would love to be able to have the row all to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay cold medicine!

    If something crazy does happen, maybe I won't have to work next week?

    ReplyDelete