05 November 2008

Free at last!

It's a history-making event! A redefining moment! A break-through for the country -nay, the world!

Nooo ... not the Presidential election. Pfft. That's so yesterday's news.

No, I'm talking about the genius of "Frustration-Free Packaging" from Amazon.

Amazon.com will now deliver (select) products in "an easy-to-open, recyclable cardboard box."


Shhhh ... you had me at "easy-to-open".

Almost any parent can tell you that "wrap-rage" is a serious problem in this country. Kids toys and electronics are the worst culprits.

I can't count the number of times I've wrestled with child-proof, theft-proof, zen-proof packaging while my kids danced around just wanting to "plaaaaaay with it!"

(Mostly, I can't count them because I can no longer see my fingers through the band-aids. Those scars have forever ended any chance I had for a career as a hand model.)

But - at last - there is HOPE!

No more tearing into plastic clamshell packages can-opener style; No more piles of teensy-tiny plastic twist-ties and their choking-hazard grommets; No more kung-fu fighting with taped-up, tied-up, trussed-up toys while your toddler cries in frustration.

It's gotten to the point that I break into a cold sweat just walking by toy aisles. Christmas and birthdays make me hyperventilate.

But now! ... "easy to open" ... beautiful.

Wait! And it's green, too?!

*Swoon*

Where have you been all my life?!

I guess these guys will soon be out of business. Meh. Serves 'em right for marketing a mono-tasker. Not in my kitchen, bub!


12 comments:

  1. Wow that is good news, the packaging is this country is just as bad - I wonder if Amazon.co.uk will offer the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news.

    We avoided wrap rage by opening up packages and removing all the packaging stuff like twist ties and grommets and then replacing it in the box before wrapping. Then the opening became that much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news, Jules!

    Amazon: "This is just the beginning of a multi-year initiative. It will take many years, but our vision is to offer our entire catalog of products in Frustration-Free Packaging.

    And because "wrap rage" knows no national boundaries, we're committed to expanding this program to our international sites, making this a truly global initiative."

    Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. scifi dad: NOW your telling me this?!

    Just kidding. Yes, we learned pretty quickly to pre-open everything and discard as much packaging as we could before Christmas and birthdays.

    But grandparents and other loving relatives are another story. Apparently, it is a grandparents' prerogative to buy the toys and then delegate the parents as the surgical strike team in charge of liberating the toy from it's packaging.

    Between you and me, I think they get a mean little kick out of watching me struggle with them. Something about karma. :)

    Meh, from now one, I'm telling them to check Amazon before they store-buy! Heck, they should be doing that anyway. Amazon rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping over from SITS! Loved your blog! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW... that is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free at last! Free at last! This is a happy day!! I feel my blood pressure lowering at that thought! No more screwdrivers to unscrew toys from the cardboard sleeve? No more chewed up fingers trying to get all that twist ties undone? Sheer happiness! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sure, just when I finally bought a holiday machete from the Martha Stewart Festive Dissembly Collection.

    (It's scented, you know. Like aspen trees. Or one of her dogs. I don't know. Whatever. I'm depressed.)

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. simplyme: I know, I've been doing the *snoopy dance* about this all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Anna, I thought you were giving up ordering things from the Internet!

    But, knowing you, I have complete faith that you will find another use for your Holiday Machete! You are so handy like that!:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Amazon! Did you really use can openers to open the packaging? I wrote a post back in August about that very thing

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME! That is such great news, and so much better for the environment. I refer to it as packing bondage, and as a result I get lots of bondage related search results for my blog.

    I will be looking out for this new packing initiative. I'm even more in love with Amazon now.

    ReplyDelete